Need to remove MOA

DesertRatR

So I've learned a good lesson. I bought a TacSol X-Ring and a Leupold VX-2 rimfire scope. I wasn't aware the receiver has a 15 MOA slant built it. As a result even at 100 yards I am shooting high. The scope just doesn't have enough elevation motion to pull the group down all the way. Does anyone know of a device (mount of some sort) that can remove the MOA?

If I dis-remember correctly, 15moa is about 1/4 of a degree.
Maybe a simple shim under the rear of the mount would fix it.
If that's correct, it shouldn't be enough to risk bending the scope, as long as there's clearance at the front.
Just a thought.

Maybe a simple shim under the rear of the mount would fix it.
Mmm aaah. No. A shim under the rear of the mount would make the issue worse. If you are going to shim it, the shim would go in front.

He said it was shooting high.
Explain please how shimming the front would fix?
Scope adjustment considerations?
Never mind, I got it.
Not enough protein this morning.

I called TacSol. They have no solution. I can't get the time of day out of Leupold.

I am going to try shimming but under the front mount, rather than between the scope tube and the ring, like I've seen in the youtube videos. I need a minimum of 15 mil, so I think I'll try 20 to start. I think if I shim under the mount, rather than under the scope, I'll put less stress in the scope tube. Any thoughts there?

I think if I shim under the mount, rather than under the scope, I'll put less stress in the scope tube. Any thoughts there?
That would be the best way.

I'd try some shims, test for the correct amount, then take it back apart then reassemble using epoxy bedding to fill any gaps.

Keep in mind you may also need longer screws

If you worry about the rings being out of alignment (with or without the shim), you can lap the rings after installing them on the receiver.

-TL

Yes shim under the mount is the way to go if you shim, but I'm thinking there's another problem that scope has 64 MOA of adjustment and should be plenty to use a 15 MOA mount.

Back