Need to fix my FAL

Dave AA

I have a STG-58 w/Imbel reciever, and it is really screwed up. It's a inch pattern receiver, but the gas adjustment knob has 7 positions, and I believe that is a metric thing. The rifle shoots about 3 feet low at 100 yards, it won't fuction on any gas setting but 1 or 2, and the safety lever when swept down continues on past the detent.
So, I need correct sights, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with the gas system, and I just never use the safety.
Anyone know where I can get sights? And how do I replace them?
On the plus side, besides being 3 feet low, the groups are very tight.

------------------
All men who feel any power of joy in battle know what it is like when the wolf rises in the heart" Theodore Roosevelt

You just need a sight tool to raise the front sight up (unless its already up as far as it will go). DSA sells one at http://www.dsa.com.. If you look at the front sight from the top, you'll see that the sight post sticks out of a round disk with two holes in it. The sight tool fits in the two holes and allows you to rotate the front sight. Rotate it counterclockwise to raise it. You may also be able to turn it using the tip of a FMJ bullet.

As far as the gas setting, it sounds like either the gas system is dirty, the rifle needs lubrication or the gas port needs to be enlarged. The first two you can take care of yourself but the latter probably is best left to a gunsmith. When you get your sight tool, try removing the front sight. That will expose the gas hole into the barrel. With a pipe cleaner soaked in solvent, brush that passage out well to make sure its clear. Also, take the bolt out of the rifle, then remove the handguards which allows you to get at the gas piston. Take it out and make sure it is clean of all carbon. Brush out the gas cylinder as well, then lightly oil the inside of it with a CLP soaked patch on a cleaning rod. Oil the spring. Also use a brass brush to clean the chamber out and lube the hell out of the bolt carrier wherever it shows worn marks. If none of this works, try switching to different ammo or take it to a gunsmith to have the gas port enlarged.

The safety is working as designed. When you rotate it down and forward, it puts it into full-auto mode on a full-auto capable FAL. On the semi-auto versions, the selector switch will move forward but it doesn't do anything.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited January 24, 2000).]

Hmmm... I'll have to get the sight tool to get into the gas port. The front is aleardy up as far as it will go. The rear is the sliding elevation type, starts at 200 yrds.

Dave, its also possible that the front sight post is for some reason shorter than it should be. I've seen at least one of these STG-58s at a gun show with the front sight post broken in half. I've also seen sight posts available from parts vendors at gun shows so you should be able to replace it easily. If not, check DSA.

Sorry, I meant the "point of impact" when I said "up". The sight itself is screwed down as far as it will go. I've cut it down to bring the POI up, but that's not an acceptable solution since I had to cut it down so far I'm into the wider area at the bottom of the post. If I cut it down any more, I won't have a front sight. I also brought the rear up to the 400 yrd click, and then the rifle was zeroed.

take a look at your rear sight. what does it look like? is it a small(hump?) that is fixed or is it a tall one that folds (flips) down (towards the front of gun)? the reason i ask is that i have seen more than 4 fn/clones with missmatched sights. they are using metric front and inch (l1a1) pattern rear sights. if you cannot locate a metric rear the "el cheapo way" is to drill another aperture opening just above where the sight hinges. go to www.fnfal.com and on their discussion page are a few guys who have a fair amount of fn stuff for sale larry f/n-balming-gunplumber-mike@msc to name a few

Go to the fal-files msg board......everyone in the world building/repairing fns is there. Tons of free advice and refs from very knowledgeable folks.

Back