Need to buy a M1911, input requested

dog3

Yes, this is gonna be a typical Dog3 yarn. I like stories, so here's yet another one.

My M1911 came to be via an odd and friendly path beginning as far back as I know with its purchase in the then British Honduras by a well to do Louisiana landowner who was something of a gun nut. It was his gentlemans carry piece when in central america for many years. It was inherited by his prematurely along with the rest of the collection about the time his son needed money for school. His son sold it to a mutual friend who was then just beginning the academy and wanted it for an off-duty carry piece. This mutual friend had some smithing done and had it parkerized and a few months after the academy decided it didn't really suit his needs and sold it to me.

I've carried this sidearm for over 20 years. Openly and in "slink" mode as some say here. I carried in while on active duty in Honduras leaving my issued weapon in arms room. I trust it implicitly.

Years go by as we all know, and I've lost track of these folks over time and distance. Recently I struck up a correspondence with the son, and have since learned that he has a now seven year old son of his own. Upon learning this I knew that this boy must have this old pistol, and he must get it from his father, as his father got it from his father.
My personal sense of duty tells me in no uncertain terms that I must return it.

There is some work that needs to be done to it, not much, just some, and I hope to get down Louisiana way sometime this summer and deliver it at that time.

So, I need to replace it.

Knowing that it cannot really be replaced, I started looking for its equal. Norincos are straight out for many reasons, none having anything whatsoever to do with the quality of that piece. So please don't take that as a slam. I don't have any real desire to purchase any of these fancier M1911 derived weapons, fine as they may be.

I was drawn to the verbage of Springfield Armory which says "Springfield's Mil-Spec pistol is a faithful recreation of John Browning's classic 1911-A1" and thought that sounded good until I read that the Mil-Spec is yet another multi-national NAFTA type *thing*. Being "made" in Brazil and "assembled" in the US whatever that means.

The pistol I wish to replace is one of those fine Argentine Brownings. So I have nothing against south american M1911s, But I don't like those "made there sorta, made here sorta" things that seem to permiate todays open trade market.

So, What would be a good straight M1911 or M1911A2?

thanx in advance

You may be up the creek just a bit if you want a new gun. Springfield is the ONLY maker that makes a 1911A1 like JMB designed it. The Colt 1991A1 has the 80-series bastardizations as well as a plastic trigger. Everyone else, including my personal favorite Kimber, is making factory custom guns. Your best bet is to look for a used military or commercial gun circa the 50s-70s, but before the Colt Series 70s guns came out. Might want to put a "Want to Buy" ad out there on the for sale boards here and also on www.subguns.com and www.sturmgewehr.com.
Good luck.

How about Auto Ordnance? They aren't the prettiest pistols in the world, but they do come in a straight-GI style and they're 100% made in USA (as far as I know).

Or, with a little work, you could put one together with an Essex Arms frame and slide and your pick of internals from the Brownells catalog.

Hey Rik and Matt;

Thanx for the input. The Auto Ordnance
M1911 WWII Parkerized looks like exactly what
I am looking for.

Any criticizms, cliches, controversy, commentary?

Thanx again

Auto Ordnance guns have soft steel, rough machining and out of spec dimensions. That's why almost no pistolsmiths will work on them.

If you want a gun that you will shoot out of the box with no modifications, then buy a Springfield loaded, Colt XS series or a Kimber, which are higher end enhanced productions guns, not custom guns. Custom guns are guns built to your specs, not on a production line in batches. Prices start at about $575.00 and go from there depending on the model.

If you want something to build on later, then buy a Springfield Mil-Spec or a Colt 1991. Prices range from around $425.00 on up.

Guns to avoid are Auto Ordnance, Brolin Arms, these new Isreali 1911 knockoffs, Llama's and Argentine Ballister Molina guns.

Brian

Are the israeli 1911 copies you are referring to made by BUL? Some people were saying these were good, whats ur take?

I'm not refering to the Bul M5's, those are good guns, I'm talking about the single stack 1911's that I think IAI is selling that llok like they were machined and fit by Ray Charles with a chainsaw.

Brian

If your not against South American guns, then you may want to look at a Sistema 1927. These are exactly like the Colt mod. 1927 (M1911A1), they were even made on Colt tooling bought by DGFM. Most were made in the 50's, and are really nice pistols for less than $300, plus there is some interesting history behind them.

Regards,
BB

dog3,

I've never owned an Auto-Ordnance but I've never heard anything good about them either!

For what it's worth, I think Matt VDW is on the right track. Brownell's has some 70 series Colt Government slides complete with GI sights. They also carry 2 different listings of US made GI spec parts. You could have the best of both worlds - a Government model that was custom built, to your specifications! The only dinger would be the need to fit the slide to the frame (or the frame to the slide) and, if you like a Mil-Spec fit, you could do it yourself with a little time and patience.

Anyway, if you build it you CAN actually replace the old warhorse.

Mikey

The israeli guns that Brian is probably refering to are put out by IAI.

They have model numbers beginning with M
like M5000, M6000, etc.

This is a bit like a dog3 story, but it is my experience.
In 1996 I checked a Colt MKIV Series 70 Government Model (that I bought for 400$) into a pawn shop for 150$ as I needed some cash to make my tuition payment before payday. It was only going to be there about ten days, so I thought this would work out fine. I was back at the pawn shop 12 days later. That's when I was given the bad news. About three days before an employee of this pawn shop had stolen 12 high dollar handguns. Mine was one of them. In an effort to make things right, the owner gave me a new "Mil-Spec" Auto Ordnance 1911-A1. This thing LOOKED like a 1911, it FELT like a 1911 and it SOUNDED like a 1911. Until I placed a fully loaded magazine in it and tried to chamber a round. It would only chamber a round from the magazine if four or fewer rounds were in it. I thought, as those of you reading this are probably thinking, that the Auto Ordnance magazine was defective. I tried two Colt mags, known to be 100% reliable in my MKIV Series 80, with the same results. I then tried two 1911 mags issued to me by Uncle Sam, also known to be 100%. Also with the same results. Just to be redundant, I tried two Wilson mags. Same results. I visited a gunsmith. He informed me that the frame was out of spec from the day it was cast. I arranged to ship the P.O.S. back to Auto Ordnance. To their credit they did not try to weenie out of their obligation to fix this problem, or as we say, "pull a Kimber". My new Auto Ordnance 1911-A1 was back inside of two weeks. With the exact same problem! I went through this drill again. Now my third Auto Ordnance 1911-A1 shows up. Again with the exact same problem! I took this P.O.S. back to the pawn shop where my trouble began and pawned it for 150$ and never went back for it. (I apologize to whomever was unlucky enough to purchase that paperweight.) I will never buy an Auto Ordnance without first test chambering, with snap caps or dummy rounds of course, from a fully loaded magazine, and only if it is the only 1911 on the face of the earth.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Dog3,
Any of these "suitable" ?
Colt Model 27 45acp $299.00
Manufactured for the Argentine Military. Polished blue finish and beavertail grip safety. Identical to the Colt Model 1911 A-1. Excellent condition.
Seller: USA FIREARMS Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: $5 Per Item
FFL Dealer
Electronic Mail: conan@alltel.net

Phone: (440) 576-5745
FAX: (440) 576-7389
Photo Link http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/22407244.jpg
Then there's somethin' with a "History".....
1911 A1 Military $400.00 Colt - Remington Rand 1911A1, Manufactured 1943, one of those ,WAR, prizes my father acquired 1911 AI MILITARY SERIES 45 ACP 16295** $ 400.00
Photo Link http://www.gunsamerica.com/upload/22405779.jpg
All these & more were found at http://www.gunsamerica.com/

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Get the cheap flat black Colt .45. My dad has one and it is the most reliable of all his Colts, on the same level as his Gold Cup. My dad and I have owned, and had problems with the following 1911s: Detonics (literally came apart in our hands on first shooting); Kimber (several jambs); Springfield Armory (a gunsmith said these need to be "massaged" a little before they are reliable); Para-Ordnance (several jambs); some Colts (jambs); perhaps one or two other brands. It is really a crap shoot to get a totally reliable 1911 out of the box. I don't trust gunsmiths (have had several guns worked on with mostly bad results). This is why I am now a diehard Glock man. My dad and I own 3 of them and, straight out of the box, they are totally reliable and accurate.

Back