Need thoughts on a new SAA

sundance43.5

I really want to get a replica single action army, but I know nothing about the makers. The only criteria for it are it has to be under $700 and it has to be historically accurate.

On a side note, does anyone have experience with the quality of Cimarron firearms. I'm thinking of getting the SAA from them.

Thanks

I have an older Cimarron that works well, though I did work it over as I do any gun I will use (as opposed to collect). I have looked at the newer ones and saw one problem in a very sharp pointed firing pin. I would replace that if I bought one of those guns.

The Colt Cowboy looks good in pictures, but is not well fitted and does not appear to be especially well made. Some others seem to be well made, including Hartford.

If the authentic "old style" action is not that important, go with the Ruger Vaquero or the standard Blackhawk. I don't think you can lose.

Jim

Uberti makes fine replicas of the SAA; the trigger pulls are excellent on them.

The Colt Cowboy basically sucks. It is poorly fitted indeed, but it is a Colt, and as such will only go up in value. I dont think that can necessarily be said of the Uberti, but it is a much better gun.

I have a Cowboy and I like it. I have compared it to a recent manufactured SAA and there wasn't alot of difference.

The Cowby is very tight, much tighter than my latest Ruger purchase. The trigger is a little gritty and has a little take up but much lighter and crisper than both my Rugers.

The bluing was much better than the Uberti's that I have seen and it will shoot to point of aim at 25 yards, keeping them all withing a 3in circle.

The Rugers are good, but they feel alot bulkier than the Cowboy and the loading is very different.

If I am not mistaken the same manufacturer makes all the newer SAA clones, Uberti, EMF, etc. including the Cowboy. They are just assembled and finished in different places.

Gun tests rated the Cowboy higher than all the others and I agree with them.

I couple of months back, I traded a Uberti SAA clone in on a Colt Cowboy, in .45 LC. I own a second generation Colt, and I can say that the two are very similar. The Cowboy is a nice shooter and with the "transfer bar", it can be safely carried with six. In fact, I just may start to carry it and leave my Glocks at home, once the weather turns a little chilly. What is it that they say, "if it ain't a Colt, everything else is just an imitation". ;)

:D Buy a USFA Rodeo. The price is right. As authentic to first generation Colt as you can get from a mechanical point of view. Grip is great. Finish is a dull matt.

I gotta disagree with those who say there isnt much difference between a Colt Cowboy and a SAA.

The metal to metal fit is much tighter with a SAA. The grip to frame fit is much better also.

My Cowboy is as accurate as the SAA, but just not as nice.

Back