Need the correct rifle...

Starman

Inactive
I have a French M1874 Gras Bayonet, signed and dated 1879. I wanted to see if anyone could tell me the name of the rifle that this bayonet fits on. My father got it from a German soldier when the soldier surrendered to him towards the end of the Battle of the Bulge. I would love to see it reunited with its original style rifle.

As far as I know, the German was not using the bayonet but got it off a French soldier when they surrendered (or just stole it). I didn't realize that bayonets were named for the guns they were associated with. Thanks. Are those style guns still around or am I delegated to forever search antique stores and E-Bay?

[the German was not using the bayonet but got it off a French soldier when they surrendered ]

Niiiice - a bayonet, that was dropped only once ! ;) :D :D

My two cents

The gun was originally a chassepot that was subsequently modified to fire metallic cartridges. BTW, we've one where I play curator. Can you post a pic of the bayonet?

Pictures of the 1874 Gras Bayonet

Here are some pictures of the bayonet I have. I checked out some rifles on Gunbroker.com and there are some possibilities there.

Attachments

• P8190012.jpg
    P8190012.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 27
  • P8190016.jpg
    P8190016.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P8190013.jpg
    P8190013.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 17
I have one just like it.

I honestly never seriously considered getting a rifle to go with the bayonet. Usually, it's the other way around for me. :D

Back