Need Texans to write Dan Patrick

springmom

Today around noon, a guy showed up at Texas State Senator Dan Patrick's Capitol office asking to meet with one of his staff, alone. He was told no. He left, walked out of the Capitol, and shot five rounds from a "small caliber" handgun into the air. DPS troopers apprehended him without incident and no one was hurt.

But Dan Patrick is calling for the installation of metal detectors at every entrance of the state capitol.

Texans are specifically *allowed* to carry in the Capitol under current legislation. This cannot come up as a legislative agenda until next year, since, thank God, we only allow them to get together for 90 days every other year (minimizes the damage they can do to the state.) However, he got all the news media in his office (down here, he wasn't at the capitol) to opine how "everybody" is worried about security and how DPS can't keep everybody safe and "keep track of everybody".

I'd ask all Texans (and everybody else too!) to write Dan Patrick at http://www.patrick.senate.state.tx.us/dist7.htm#Form and encourage him to rethink his Brady-esque response to this. That he was deeply affected by his staffer's apparent close call is totally understandable. That he wants to limit the freedoms of the rest of law abiding Texans because of one dingbat is not.

Springmom

I would add that not only should he be contacted, but so too should our individual representatives who may end up voting on this matter in the near future.

Worse, every reporter on every channel that covered that story wanted to know if the shooter had a Texas CHL. Did he legally carry that pistol to the capitol or not? They really believe that all crime will stop when law-abiding citizens stop carrying!

Anti-Gun Nut

It seems like someone playing the system for their political bias. I would be willing to bet that he didn't have a CHL. Just wanted to make a big deal while trying to pin it on the 2nd Amendment supporters.

It seems like someone playing the system for their political bias. I would be willing to bet that he didn't have a CHL. Just wanted to make a big deal while trying to pin it on the 2nd Amendment supporters.

Why does it seem this way to you? What are you basing this on?

Why does it seem this way to you? What are you basing this on?

I deeply apologize, for the outburst. I don't have anything backing my theory, it was more of a angry rant than anything. I honestly hope that my theory is wrong, and that it is not anything political.

No problem, KevinBeyerJr.

As a side note, I don't mind at all if it turns out to be political -- just so long as it's pro-2A political. (Sometimes people use the word "political" like it's a bad thing, and like it only applies to statements and actions we disagree with.

Nope.

Whenever human beings try to work out how to live together, it's political.

But I know what you mean. Thankfully, in this case I think we are OK.)

Back