Need suggestions for sight/scope inside 100 yds

abruzzi

I recently bought an inexpensive ($185.00)Eddystone Model 1917 30-06 which had been sporterized with a new stock. It has a ramp sight mid-barrel with a small white dot forward sight. I've added 1000 rounds of 30-06 from Talon Mfg (who has a demil contract with US Army) for another $225.00.

I need to get some functioning sighting system. My initial idea was to try to stay with iron sights. I will be shooting most likely in the mountains of Appalachia with few shots at 100 yds, and most between 50 and 75 yds.

The problem is that the ramp sight on this thing is already ramped down to the barrel and it seems to have a zero out around 150 yds or so. In other words at 100 yds you already have to shoot 6 to 10inches low. At 50 yds, using the current iron sights, you'd have to count on hitting something on the first bounce.

So, I am looking for a way to use iron sights with a closer zero, but don't have a clue where to start looking. I checked www.ashleyoutdoors.com but they seem to have their production oriented to current models, i.e., this century.

I have read about the Micro Dot (a red dot inside a traditional scope) which at the top end ($300) has an adjustable object lens that goes down to 50 yds. And I've thought about putting a regular red dot on it, partly because my eyesight is not that great at 52.

I'd like to try to keep this cheap, in keeping with the budget so far and because I want this gun to be the gun I can crash through the woods with without worrying about dinging the furniture (it's already been banged around some) or an expensive scope.

I already have a Sako Hunter in 270 Win with a fixed Leupold scope. One friend pointed out that 270 shoots flatter, and that I might move the Leupold to the 30-06, make it the longer distance gun, and run through the woods with the Sako (which is also about 6 inches shorter). This is not the dumbest idea I've heard, and the Sako has good iron sights on it too. This would add zero to the cost of the project.

I also want to keep the 30-06 project cheap so I can rationalize spending a bundle on another rifle later. But that's another story for another day.

Appreciate any suggestions.

[This message has been edited by abruzzi (edited August 08, 2000).]

Perhaps consider a used scope. Picked up a name-brand (mumble) 1.5X6 (super at 1.5 for very quick acquisition & 6X's good enough for a few hundred yards - depending upon target) for about $100 just a few back. There's some deals out there. Even seen some reconditioned (w/guarantee) Luepolds at gun shows for way cheap lately.

I'd be way leary of the "Cheaper 'N Dirt" Chi-Com specials. Did pick up one of those recently & they are certainly "special." :( Other than being junk, I learned another lesson (again) - you get what you pay for.

& me too, at 47, iron sights just don't cut it anymore. (wah!) ;)

I agree with labgrade... check the local gun shows for used scopes. I got a Weaver 1-3x scope in very good condition for $50. I had it installed on my Winchester 94 for woods hunting. At only 37 I'm blind without my glasses :(

Even with a scope, you're talking a hard-to-find mount, drilling and tapping, etc.

Brownells used to sell a variety of "no gunsmith" peep sights for military rifles. A quick search has failed to turn up my Brownells catalog (probably propping up a table leg in my shed or something right now) but I'm sure they still carry that stuff.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back