Need suggestion on trigger locks

Futo Inu

I hate mandated trigger locks, but voluntary ones can be a good idea, and my brother just had a baby, so he wants me to help him research before the kid becomes a toddler which trigger lock is the best out there for the one gun he plans to leave outside the safe in his bedroom, a S&W model 66-4 .357 Mag. Seems to me a code-controlled one would be more desirable than a key-controlled one, for quick access when you need the gun, or maybe one of those little boxes with the code-keypad. Any suggestions along these lines?

Futo,
Here's some sites to check out - www.handgunsafe.com , www.palmersecurity.com , www.gunvault.com , www.gunlocker.com , www.mossbergsafes.com That should keep you busy for a while ;) I personally feel that these instant safes are much faster and safer than trigger locks. Trigger locks should not be used with a round chambered, as they can cause a discharge when operating the lock. With the lock boxes, the gun can be kept in condition one if you wish. I keep my autos in condition two (round chambered, hammer down), for a quick double action first shot, if necessary. Trigger locks on a home defense gun is bad news. Buy a instant access lock box.

Opps, stupid me. I just re-read your post, and see you're talking revolver. A trigger lock is even more dangerous on a loaded revolver than an auto. Definitely go with the lock box.

[This message has been edited by Gusgus (edited March 03, 2000).]

I looked into trigger locks about 2 years ago when I started a family. I purchased a battery powered combination lock for my S&W 586 .357 mag. The numbers glow in the dark and I can have the lock off in about 5 seconds. Because of the force required to fire the DA Smith, I think accidental firing is unlikely. The lock boxes are better but the trigger lock costs alot less ($30).

I agree with GusGus all the way. I've got 3 kids 5 to 9 and I use the Gunvaults. Excellent products and service.

Gusgus is on the right track. A quick access safe is both fast and secure. Can't beat that, although the good ones will cost you much more than the $8 trigger lock. :)

I'd take a good look at the R&D Enterprises Handgun Box (http://www.handgunsafe.com). It's a heavy steel safe with Simplex push-button lock, so there are no batteries to die. It also fared very well in a Gun Tests article which pitted most of the popular fast-access boxes against each other. Best of all, made in the USA.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

I have used the Gun Vault with the hand press pad. I have decided, after a break in of my home, that safe concealment is far better than a metal box, which obviously contains a gun. If you can't find it you can't misuse, play with or steal it. Take a look at http://www.furniturewithasecret.com. I bought one of these and I can honestly say that I was very surprised at the quality and construction. You will not be disappointed.

Back