Need source for suppressor tool!

emc

I am looking for a source to buy a suppressor tool for the Powder Springs stamped .45 cal suppressor. I've tried Tactical Innovations, but they do not have them.

What tool(s) do you need?; most suppressors don't need anything you coudln't find at your local hardware store. Split-ring pliers, maybe a stud wrench?

The suppressor on a Powder Springs Mac can only be taken down by using a tool with two large pins on the end that engage a two widely spaced holes within a flat steel plate under the removable wipe at the muzzle. Using a pair of screwdrivers or something similar might be made to work, but we would run the risk of marring the suppressor or the threads that the wipe screws into, and I really don't want to do that. I have some split ring pliers, but they aren't wide enough to work for something like this. Hope that this helps clarify things.

Sounds like a stud wrench; if you can't find an original, you can make one yourself with some round stock and a flat-bar handle.

Thanks for the suggestion! Now, time to express some ignorance. What IS a stud wrench, anyhow?

A stud wrench is a wrench that has two studs on it; those studs fit into the holes you describe, so that you can srew a threaded plate into or out of a plate, tube, etc. In a pinch, you can use two properly-sized numbered drill bits held in a vice with soft-jaws, but having a wrench means you can disassemble everything right-side-up.

If it is not real tight...
You can sometimes drop a couple of drills that fit well into the holes and then gently apply pressure to a screwdriver or whatever between the drills.

Gently and good hole fit are important to avoid marring.

Sam

Best thing I have ever seen for loosing or even cleaning a suppressor is KROIL. A type of penetrating oil that they see direct, also can be found at Midway or Brownells. Best way to clean the can would be to immerse it in a tube filled with KROIL and let sit for a day or two.

I have checked...

for both stud wrenches and spud wrenches at a local tool specialty shop, and they show nothing within their catalogs which would work with the recessed plate that must be unscrewed in order to access the internals. I will check W.W. Grainger's on line catalog, in the hopes that they may have something which will work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but....

the tool shown in the website that you were kind enough to supply is quite similar to that shown in the catalogs I looked through at a local tool and hardware retailer.

The headache we have with the disc which needs to be removed from the front of the suppressor in order to disassemble it is that it is recessed into the tube approximately 1.5 inches. At this point, I am sorely tempted to check with local machine shops and simply have one made for me. Unfortunately, that would mean having to bring it in, and, being security-conscious, I am not wild about that idea.

Anyhow, thanks for the followup!!

emc

Back