Need some steel shooting guidance.

tarynlee

Inactive
My interest in Steel Challenge has me making some purchases before I even have any knowledge of the discipline. I'm going to slow down now and get some info before charging any further ahead.
So far I purchased a Sig P320-X5. This gun doesn't have an external safety. Is that allowed in Steel shooting? I searched web sites with rules, but none said anything about that.

If an issue isn't addressed in the rule book, generally that means it doesn't matter.
Considering all the shootin' irons that lack safeties, it's probably of no concern in Steel Challenge.
You'll find out at the first match you attend.:)
Don't sweat it.
I always preferred the open rimfire ( with dot scope) division for this game.

No mention of safeties at all in the SCSA rules. Wouldn't be a bad idea to look into any club level rules though.
You'll probably need cast bullets only though. Jacketed bullets bounce a lot.

Perhaps I do make a direct phone call to some Steel Challenge organizer.
Cast bullets... as in no jacket? I'll look up a case on line, but I don't recall seeing any while I shop for my regular range ammo.
I was currently shopping for a holster that would work for my new Sig P320 X5. This gun might be too new. I didn't see any offerings on the Blade Tech site.
I'm sure I'm gonna find out a few embarrassing surprises in my first match.

There is no problem shooting a gun without a safety in the Steel Challenge. Glocks are shot all the time, same as their imitators.

Lead bullets are very good for SC matches. Less chance of jackets coming back from the target.

Approved for Production (w/o magwell), but make sure you check out the holster rules. With magwell you would just shoot Limited.

Back