need some opinions

garrett123

Inactive
i am trying to get into competition shooting and trying to decide how to start and what rifle to go with. Then i realized that my dad has an a winchester model 75 22lr bull barrel that i have access to. would starting in a 22lr category with this rifle be a viable option?

Depends on what type of competition you want to get into? That Winchester should be pretty good for shilloutte shooting. Not sure what other .22 rifle competitions are out there.

-George

I dont know what type of sights your Model 75 had, appeture I assume.

I think you'll find its a good starter rifle in NRA or ISU small bore shooting.

Check with your State Rifle and Pistol Assn. and they will give you information on Matches in your area.

i am not sure of the technical name of the sights but there a form of iron sights, i think its aperture sights, they consist of a circular rear sight and circular front sight with a piece of metal sticking up in it.

And I bet you can get inserts for the front sight,

Yes you're good to go with Smallbore, either NRA or ISU, just find a match and get after it.

ya im really excited to finally start. But i have a question about 22lr competition. I have heard that you have to pick through 22 rounds and find good ones. anyone know about this and how to do it?

Thats true, all 22 ammo isnt the same, even the same ammo lot to lot is differant.

But I wouldnt worry about that for a while. Right now get a couple of bricks and start shooting. You'll get to where you can start telling the differance.

Get to where you are nearly cleaning the NRA 50 FT target in the prone position.

Then start buying in the 50 round packs, buy as many differant kinds as you can, when you find one that shoots then grab it up.

Right now, dont worry about it. Just work on you positions. Go to the CMP bookstore web sight and get one of the Small Bore books put out by the Army Marksmanship Unit. They run about $7 and will give you all the info you need.

A person can learn a lot in small bore shooting, and that knowledge will carry over to other disiplians.

thats awesome, thanks. i was hoping that what i learned in this would carry over and give me good fundamentals to build off of.

Back