Need some home-defense advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTW

Inactive
Gentelmen/Ladies,
I'm new to this forum but very impressed by the quality. I have military experience with guns but wanted some advice as to the best home defense gun that my wife could also use in a pinch. I intend to go through a thorough training course with her first but she is not afraid to shoot a large caliber. I've sorta narrowed it to either a .357 4" revolver(I can move her up from .38 easy), .40 auto, or .45 ACP. With the auto's I would need a small frame (for her hand fit). Looking for reliability. Thanks!!

If you go with the revolver I advise sticking with the 38's for home defense. The 357 has way too much muzzle blast and flash for indoor use (one shot and you're deaf and blind at night).

For small frame 40's the Kahr is hard to beat. It's like a small Glock made of steel.

As for 45's, well, there's only one! Most (not all) ladies have a negative "thing" about 1911's but they are easy to shoot with a little practice. Manual of arms can be a little tricky for home defense, especially if you have kids.

Mikey

For home defense, I'll always recommend a Remington 870. 20" improved cylinder barrel, 12 or 20 gauge. Load it up with #4 or #3 buckshot. If you fear overpenetration you can use #6 or #4 shot. Of course if you had a great fear of overpenetration you wouldn't be looking at handguns either. Take your shotgun to the range with a box of 100 birdshot ($15) and let her have fun shredding paper at the pattern board. She'll get a feel for the recoil and pointability of the gun while she's proving its reliability. Of course this only applies if the weapon is strictly for home defense. Shotguns don't conceal easily, nor can you swing them effectively if you are inside a vehicle.

[This message has been edited by Sport45 (edited October 13, 1999).]

Thanks guys. The shotgun is out of the question (We tried a bunch and she's not comfortable wielding it at all!) I didn't now about the Kahr .40 but it looks just about right. Revolvers were my second pick behind the shotgun but I'd probably take too long trainging her from .38 to .357 loads. I did see a S&W .40 at a local shop but they wanted nearly $600. Seemed way high.

You'd be hard pressed to beat a Ruger GP-100 or sp 101 for reliability and ease of use and strength. Plus Ruger has a "no hassle" warranty policy. Aftermarket grips are not a problem and since the ruger's grip frame is VERY small in profile, skinny/thin grip that suit her hand can be made/purchased

Buy some light wadcutters 148 gr 38 spec, and train her up to the heavy stuff.

I'd recommend a 38+p load over a 357 for the same reasons as above (overflash and noise) and IF you need a second shot the .38 loads recover faster from recoil. As far as someone who is unfamiliar with guns (your wife) the revolver allows a bunch of "no brainer features" ie NO safty, you can store it loaded and ready without stressing the springs etc.

winchester silvertips, federal hydra-shocks are good loads in 357 OR 38. Federal has a new 38+p load in 38 special that should be perfect out of a 4 inch revolver.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

I should probably bow out now, because I don't own a revolver. But my advice to you is to stick with your instinct and get one. I've tried a Smith 66 (I think), great trigger, very reliable. With the revolver there are no safeties to remember, no slide to rack, no magazine release to accidently press, no stovepipes, no missfeeds, etc., etc, etc. You just get 6 shots for 6 trigger pulls. Smith K-frame or Ruger GP-100.
I hated to say that, I feel like a traitor to my automatics.

How about a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP? Light, little recoil, uses 1911 mags, fires a round that is a good stopper.

What I like for home defense is a Rotweller backed by a 1911.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

MrTW:

The information you have provided is screaming for a revolver. It works out perfectly in my book since I happen to be a big fan of the revolver as the home defense gun in the first place. :)

[This message has been edited by SB (edited October 13, 1999).]

TOO MUCH PENETRATION!!!!!!!

Get a youth shotgun in 20 guage for her, #7 bird shot, especially if you have kids. It will be tough to live your life without thinking of the assailant you killed, but it will be even tougher to live with yourself if you kill a loved one.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

I was in the same situation. My wife tried many gun types. Basically she won't practice enough to really get totally profecient with any semi-auto. She likes her S&W model 66, loaded with Federal 38 Hydra Shocks. Aways at the ready, easy to check, super simple operation. "Just Point and shoot" is my wife's description.

I had a gunsmith give it a trigger smoothing job (including the inside of the trigger spring housing) for $100. Weight of double action went from 11/12 pounds to butter smooth 8 pounds. I really love that gun now too. (but will stick to my Sigs personally)

Buy a P7M8. Absolutely the best gun currently available. Let everybody else rationalize their gun choices while you sleep knowing you have the best.

GHB

LOL! Greg, that was funny as heck.

Seriously though MrTW, I think your instincts are right on the money on this one. Go with the .357 revolver and load it with .38 SWCs.

I'll post my vote for a good mid sized solid 3" or 4" .357 magnum (Ruger or S&W). Then start with 38 specials and work up to 38+p rounds. For home defense, keep with frangible rounds (JHP, or even glasers or magsafe rounds).

The 357 is heavy enough to soak up some felt recoil, and it heavy enough to feel "stable" in the hand. The heavier construction all helps reliability and durablility.

Spend the money on proper training and practise.

Unless you are going to get some training for her, where handling her pistol for home defense becomes natural, I'd get her a shotgun.

Remington 870 express magnum, pistol grips front and back, toss the wood stock, extended mag (7 or 8 rds), lazer sight, and the finishing touch... sling with sling swivels. With the gun slung around the back of her neck and both hands firmly on the pistol grips (with the gun across her tummy), you'll have some home defense capability.

Well, I just got through fitting out my eldest daughter with self-defense equipment (youngest daughter was already so equipped).

She is a large woman, so I settled on the HK USP in .45 ACP. She picked up the working of the semi-auto quickly (her first target had 20 rounds in a 6" circle at 7 yards). It was a new gun, and functioned flawlessly with ball and assorted hollow point loads.

She is going to pick up a SIG P245, the compact job in .45 ACP, for concealed carry.

I had a 1911 with me, and Ann shot it very well, but it was plagued with malfs. This BEASTSTACK has been back to a gunsmith twice since I received it. It would feed NO hollowpoints. If I had had a reliable 1911, I would have considered that for her, but the traditional DA of the H&K gave an additional measure of security for me regarding the 3yo granddaughter. That long DA trigger pull is beyond most 5 yo's.

Just my views. Oh, yeah, a shotgun is the best for home defense, IF YOU HAVE IT WITH YOU. I feel a .45ACP is acceptable. Further, she has a main battle rifle should things get real sticky. Walt

The reason the 38 revolver hung on through so many advances in weapons was that it was where the lines crossed on the graph for ease of training and effectiveness. Nothing's changed.

Us gun fans are probably effective with anything bigger than a 25,with any kind of action. Problem is, we love and live with folks who have neither our hobbies or experience.

There's a Tactical 870 here that's part of my homeowner's insurance policy I hope never to need to cash, but neither Wonderful Wife not Daughter likes shotguns.
SO, there's a coupla 38s around,loaded with my old duty load, that serve them well.

When small kids or irresponsible adults are around, it's easier to secure a 38/357 in a small safe than a longarm.

I would set your wife up with the SIG P239 in .40S&W, with hogue rubber grips...
It is the ideal size for the female hand...
It is extremely easy to use, shoot, and most importantly very reliable. My wife loves hers in .357SIG!!!
I am a 1911 shooter and my wife does not like the felt recoil of the .45 auto, she has the tendacy to bounce around with it while firing at the range!!! Scary!!!
The .40 is an acceptable compromise when considering all the factors...
My wife shoots tighter groups with the .357sig cartridge than the .40S&W. She has both barrels, and the .357sig potentially feeds more reliably due to its bottle neck configuration. The barrel/caliber option is a plus, and SIGS are second to none out of the box.
NUFF SAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back