Need some help with my Encone/Katahdin

Guys, I have been away for a time but I need you good people to give me some advise. First, let me give you a little background on the situation. I own and am very happy with my TC Encore. I have a 280 Remington, 50 caliber muzzleloader, and now a 500 S&W Katahdin barrel. The gun and all barrels are stainless and the butt stock and fore ends are all walnut. After taking 7 shots with the 20" Katahdin the two screws that hold the fore end on the barrel not only vibrated out but they bent and also elongated one of the holes in the fore end as well. I am thinking of modifying it myself and now more than ever seeing as S&W/TC seem not to have an answer. They, in not so many words, acknowledged that it's a known problem. It may infact be why the walnut Katahdin specific fore end has been discontinued.

So, I guess I'm asking have any of you heard of this problem before? Do any of you who have knowledge of these TC barrels have an idea for a fix? Does anyone have any idea how I might make some head way in getting help from S&W/TC?

Last edited:
I'm not an encore guy but have some hot Contender stuff in my collection... seems there were some steel blocks that screwed in 2 holes in the barrel, & the fore ends were relieved so the fore end indexed on the block & a single screw held the fore end onto the block... fit was tight on the block so the single screw just kept it from lifting off... the block was machined to the profile of the barrel, which helped it stay put, along with the 2 screws...

I had a couple of these in my collection, & had my retired machinist buddy make me 6-8 more so I could leave the blocks on the barrels...

do they use a similar system on the Encores ???

Wheel Man, it sounds like you are describing a "hanger bar". If so, then yes I've seen similar systems used on an Encore - but never tried one myself.

Yeah there is nothing but screws through the wood and they attach where the barrel is drilled and tapped for them. Here's the problem, if I shore up the weak wood with a internal sleeve of some type of metal I fear that the weaker link will become the screws and they will sheer off. The lugs/studs that are mounted on the muzzle loader barrels to allow the ramrod through might be my way to utilize a bigger screws as well as taking the pressure off the screw and letting the studs bare the brunt of the punishment. This would involve reworking the fore end as well as possibly tig welding the studs to the barrel.....ouch.

you may find some use from the links on mike Bellm's site for repair/replacement/modification of the forearm. Lots of other great stuff too. Good luck, I would not be happy with your situation.

So an update. I think I have made up my mind that a modification is going to be made to the barrel and stock. If you have seen the muzzle loader barrels, you would know that they have two "lugs" screwed to the barrel that not only let the ramrod slide through but are also the mounting points for the fore end. I am going to attach one of those lugs to the forward most threaded hole in the barrel. To do this I will screw it down and most likely have it tig welded on to the barrel. Then, I am going to drill the fore end to accept the the diameter and depth of the lug on the inside and counter bore the outside for the larger muzzle loader fore end screw. I will try just one lug first because there is a serious taper where the chamber turns to barrel on the 500 where as the 50 cal ML is pretty straight where the back lug is located. I think I have found a fix.

I'm welcome to any suggestions or thoughts and sure appreciate the help from everyone.

All in all I don't hate S&W/TC I just think I care and researched more. Heck, I probably have a recall fix for them LOL!

I would replace the bent screws and put some removable Loktite on them. They probably started to back out, and once loose were bent by the recoil. If they're good and tight with a little thread locker it probably won't become a problem. A nice tight friction fit between the barrel and fore-end is what keeps it in place.

I have the same setup, and the barrel was initially a little too big for the fore-end, so I filed the stock until it had a nice tight fit, fully seated against the barrel.

Once you do these two things it will probably never be a problem again.

Last edited:
The fix

Well guys I appreciate all the suggestions and Axelwik I don't doubt that your fix would've probably worked too. At the end of the day I didn't want to take any chances. So, this is what we did and when I say we I mean I was very lucky to have a die maker on staff. So first, I have to say a big thanks to my neighbor who did the modification. I was the idea man and he's the craftsman. I obtained two of the "studs/lugs" that attach to the muzzle loader barrel from TC as well as the two screws that attach the fore end to the studs. He took them to work and drilled the studs to take a number 8 screw as they are drilled from TC at a number 6. (To clarify, the 500 S&W barrel is drilled and tapped for a 8-40 screw for the fore end attachment. The muzzle loader barrel is drilled and tapped 6-48 to attach the studs to the barrel and the fore end slips over the studs. The screws that hold the fore end to the studs are two 1/4-28 x 3/8" screws.) So back to the work. When I say he drilled the stud to accept a number 8 screw, I mean there is about 2 thousandths clearance. Also, because the barrel contours larger where the screw near the chamber is located he put a three degree angle on the bottom of the stud so it would sit straight up and down on the barrel. I live near Williams Gun Sight co. and I got the proper 8-40 oval head screws to attach the studs and after a bit of Loctite.......money. He then took some measurements for the stock and cut the holes to slip it over the studs and opened the hole for the 1/4-28. He made very tight tolerances for stud holes too.......I think 4 thousandths total. Everything is back together and "strong like bull". Since I called and complained to TC/S&W, they sent me the stuff for free and the screws I bought to attach my studs were 87 cents. I think we're done and I honestly believe the weak link in the system now is going to be my shoulder. Good times.

here are some pics.

here you go

Attachments

• 20150726_130444a.jpg
    20150726_130444a.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20150726_130500a.jpg
    20150726_130500a.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 13
Back