Need some help please.

bspillman

Hey folks, I picked up a Mosin m27 about a week ago. I paid 100 bucks for it. Any way the barel was rusty but the rifeling looked good so I thought why not. I brought it home and scrubbed the bore with hopes #9 and windex (I was told by friend that windex would help stop the rust). Again I scrubbeb the bore for about an hour and then put 5 rounds through it (it shot great). I went back in and and cleaned it as normal and the barrel was bright and shinny so I ended by sliding a clean oily patch down the barrel.

So several days later I get the gun out to check it out and see a lot of rust back in the barrel. So is there anything I can do to get the rust out of this barrel or is it doomed?

I'd run a copper bore brush through, and then an oily patch. What the bore looked like after that would be a clue. The proof of the pudding would be how it shoots.

Just offhand, it does sound like there's been enough time such that there could be pitting--which would be the most harmful. Light surface rust isn't necessarily a "horrible".

Edit-add: If the ammo had corrosive primers, the best cleaning method is with hot soapy water, followed by a hot rinse.

Hold the rifle, muzzle down, bolt out, into the can of water. The patch on the cleaning rod will act like a suction pump as you retract it from the muzzle. I dunno; a half-dozen strokes, maybe. Then, repeat with hot rinse water. Then, a dry patch and then an oily patch.

Art,

The bore is pitted but nothing looks deep. The gun shot great and was as accurate as I have skills to shoot it.

Thanks Art I'll give it a try.

Will that also remove any rust in the barrel. Also I want to add that I wasn't shooting corrosive anmo. I was using Tula 148 gr. non corrosive. Thanks again.

That rifle was certainly fired with corrosive primed ammo, since the Russians and their allies issued nothing else during its time in service. Whether the barrel of a rifle fired with corrosive primed ammo will rust depends on when and how well it was cleaned after the last firing, and how it was stored thereafter.

Jim

Jamesk,

I'm aware of that. I was simply saying that I haven't fired any corrosive ammo through it personally. I cleaned it well (or at least I thought I did) and then fired non corrosive ammo through it and the rust came back.

RKG,

I'm aware windex does not prevent rust but the ammonia in winded will dissolve the salts that are in corrosive primers. Or so I have researched. Thanks for posting.

Had similar problem

I've had rust appear in my Mosin barrel too. It wasn't rusty when I bought it. My solution has been to go over board on lubing the barrel after I clean the gun. I soak a patch in gun oil and that is the last thing through he bore. Also, any time I open the gun safe I check the Mosin bore.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Back