Need some advice

Dennis6474

I have a serious rat problem and am out of ammo. I usually use CCI rat shot which seems to work pretty well. No one has it locally. The shots are in the barn and not much over 10 foot. The shot does not pernitrate electric wire.
I have some 7 1/2 shot that I would like to load into .38 special. I have a lot of powder. Bullseye, unique etc. I even have some old Trail Boss I would like to use up.
I plan on putting a plastic wad on top of the powder and another on top of the shot with a sealing of hot glue.
Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. The rats are used to traps, glue boards, live traps and the one where they walk the plank to roll off in the water.

never tried making my own but I need to get myself motivated to because snakes are a problem where I fish. Anyway did a bit of research a few weeks back and here are some links I found you might find useful. BTW local forklift repair shop gave me a big ziplock bag of fine lead shot for the asking, buncha good ol boys who could identify with my moccasin phobia. Not sure what you can do about the capsule, I am planning for .45 cal and making my own with 10 mm drinking straws

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1963099/page/1

https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD-35 Haviland LR1.pdf

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/how-to-reload-rat-shot.3930891/

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?4959-homemade-pistol-shot-shells

Last edited:
Cats work really well. See if you can get some CCI shotcapsules - those were made for reloading shotshells in 38 and 44

I recall reading of revolver shot shells being handloaded using a gas check below the shot, cup up, and another on top of the shot, cup down with a crimp.

An old reloader I knew as a kid used to make these up in 44 mag cases. What I do not recall is what powder or charge he used to propel it. I expect that info is out there if a fella wanted to hunt it up.

Yep. There are some surprisingly potent airguns available, but I don't know if one is made that is guaranteed not to penetrate electrical wires.

Dennis6474, I agree with FITASC - get some CCI Shot capsules.

I have loaded them in my .44 Mag with both #6 (about 60 pellets) and #7-1/2 (about 100 pellets), which weigh approximately 137gr, using Unique 8.0gr.

I've used them successfully with a Beagle (!!) to hunt pheasants with a Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I've also hammered a LARGE Norwegian rat that showed up in our yard on day at 15 yards.

You'll save yourself a lot of effort by using these capsules and in a .38, you can load #8 or even #9, hoping to avoid electrical wiring damage. I'd probably avoid #9 as they might not be heavy enough to do a rat any damage without a head shot.

As an aside, I remember Skeeter Skelton talking about this. He loaded his 45 ACP 1911 with shot capsules. He didn't tell his companions that he had done so.

He and his buds were getting out of his truck and somebody shouted "snake!"

Skeeter just caught a glimpse of the rattle snake, jumped in the air, drew his sidearm, and shot the snake dead before he (Skeeter) hit the ground.

His buds were totally amazed at Skeeter's skill with a handgun.

He never did tell them the truth.

Thanks for the advice. I knew I could count on the folks here.

I use the capsules for a lot of my reloading in .38, .45. But it seems to take quite a powder charge to get them out and these shots are pretty close.

An air rifle would be fine if I could hit a rat in high gear dodging around the rafters. I cant get them to slow down. Most shots are under 10 foot.

I finally made a load that worked. I used wads made from the coffee can lids punched out with a .38 case. I drilled out the primer pocket so I could punch out the wads. I put 1 wad over the powder, loaded the shot and put another wad over the shot with about a 1/16 of the inner case wall showing. Then topped it off with a drop of hot glue. I could have put some crimp in it that would hold the mess in the case but did not have any problems with the glue holding.

I would load one and try it on some old roofing tin. I reduced the powder which increased the pellet load to fill the case until it quit punching holes in the roofing tin. I used Unique and # 7 shot.

Last night my grandson and I got 9 in 5 min. Actually the pattern was pretty good from a 2 inch barrel ( my carry gun .357 SP 101) My grandson was using a 4 inch and he made some 15 foot shots. The load seemed good as none got up and run away.

Got more to shoot tonight. More fun than you can imagine.

Rats

It is not a good thing to enjoy killing, rats are a notable exception.

I used to draw a line of grain down the middle of the cattle feeder. Then sit at the end with my Ruger .22. Perfect pistol practice, variable ranges thanks to the length of the feeder.

Good times.:D

I cant imagin the amount of food that I feed the rats. At one time I had it down to a few mice and all of a sudden there are a LOT of rats. Cats are not much good as the rats have learned to stay in the rafters. Besides after the rats are gone you have to feed the cats.

I have tried everything from poison to traps. Nothing works as good as shooting them. Fast shooting and nothing but instincive shots.

I get it that "varmint hunting" with your son is part of this exercise.

If wiping out rats is also a goal, this will get you to a youtube place that has what appear to be efficient high volume rat traps that utilize a 5 gal bucket or glass aquarium.

The glass (or plexiglass) one seems interesting as the rats outside are attracted to the frenzy inside.They can see inside.

Some feed/grain/bait goes inside the aquarium,and on the floor beside the trap.

There is a cover over the aquarium Also a 2 or 2 1/2 in plastic pipe tunnel with a 90 deg elbow that turns the rats to dump into the aquarium.

A wire mesh ramp elevates the rats to the cover and the tunnel. It might work!!

This will take you there,and there are more trap designs

https://youtu.be/KQdMltoZ8zw The vids on the terriers and terrier/mink teams are crazy!!

Thanks for the tips. The air rifle sounds good but I just cant hit a running rat with a rifle. In the barn it is pretty close shooting and even with the pistol there is no time to reload before they are out of sight.

I have also learned that they are pretty smart as they now avoid a rat trap no matter the bait and all sticky pads with bait or not. Tried the bait over a bucket and these rats clear a 5 gallon bucket with no trouble. Even with water in it.

I am going to stick with my load. It kills them, does not put holes into my roofing tin (most roofs on outbuildings in the South are tin) or electric wire, 17 in two days. Now if I dont run out of primers I'll be ok.

My dad used to tell me how they got rid of rats on the farm back during the depression. They would live trap a weasel and turn it loose in the barn. He said the weasel would track each and every one down and kill it no matter where it tried to run to. Now, how they trapped the weasel to begin with and what they did with it after I have no idea.

Get a couple of cats or a couple of non-venomous snakes. Rats will vacate muy pronto.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. The air rifle sounds good but I just cant hit a running rat with a rifle. In the barn it is pretty close shooting and even with the pistol there is no time to reload before they are out of sight.

I have also learned that they are pretty smart as they now avoid a rat trap no matter the bait and all sticky pads with bait or not. Tried the bait over a bucket and these rats clear a 5 gallon bucket with no trouble. Even with water in it.

I am going to stick with my load. It kills them, does not put holes into my roofing tin (most roofs on outbuildings in the South are tin) or electric wire, 17 in two days. Now if I dont run out of primers I'll be ok.
Turn a couple cats loose in there and they will find rats you don't know you have!

As for snake's. I cast bullet in a hand gun will take care of them!

Back