Need some advice

Cop'sKid

Inactive
I've taken an armed security position in a hospital to pay the bills while I wade through the law enforcement hiring process and have to purchase my own weapon. I'm looking for something auto, double action, 9mm or better, reasonably cheap to take to the range, reliable, comfortable to carry for 8-12 hrs. Please send suggestions with reasoning behind it.

I have a Ruger P85 which I've owned for 10 years. It has never jammed and eats anything I feed it. I can get 4 inch groups at 25 yards - not a target pistol - but it gets the job done. I've compared this gun to the M9 (Beretta 92F) and found the Beretta to be more accurate, but also twice the money. I have also tried an HK USP and really am not impressed, especially when you look at the price tag. I bought mine new for about $280 with 2 high capacity mags. The resale value for a used P85 in LNIB condition is similar. Good luck!

If you can afford between $450-$500 I personally prefer anything in the 9mm Glock series. Especially the full size model 17. Shoots soft, wickedly accurate, ultra-reliable, amazingly durable, and easy to field strip and clean. The trigger pull is consistent and easy to get used to. The Glocks in .40, .357, 10mm, and .45 are fine weapons too, they're just not for me.

If you can't afford that much money right now, I really like the Taurus PT92 9mm and Ruger 9mm's for the "bargain" category. I've personally found these guns to be accurate and very reliable for the price, any price for that matter! You can usually find these pistols for around $350.

If you can, try to find a range near you that rents pistols and try as many as you can. In the end, only you can decide which pistol works for you.

For price check out the Ruger P95. You can't beat the price and factory hi-caps are still readily available. I've seen them brand new for anywhere from the $250-350 dollar range. You get the gun, two mags, loading tool, a case with a padlock.

I concur about the Ruger series pistol. I'd go with the P95 before I take the P89 though. Slimmer, trimmer and better engineering (fewer parts). If it's low cost in your area, also consider a CZ-75 (but duty holsters may be a problem).

Always have a supply of rubber gloves on you (make it a habit now before you get sworn), watch out for needles (be very careful and use the grope technique if you have to frisk. It pays to be polite and professional to everybody, even to scum who are giving you a bad time. They really appreciate professionalism (especially when you don't pound the bejesus out of them for giving you sh-t in a custodial situation) and strangely enough, bond with you for it. (I had a lot of BG's call and wave to me when I was off duty). Never forget, you're no better than anybody else and the "Us against Them" mentality some cops form is very unhealthy.

Opps, too much Dear Gary...time to get off my columnist soapbox.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

You need to find out what is on the approved list for duty weapons for the agency you plan to apply to. Find out whether you must buy the weapon, or whether it is issued. If you must purchase, then buy something off that list. When you get hired, you will thank yourself for the forsight. If the weapon is issued, find out what it is , and buy it anyway. Chances are you won't go wrong.

I agree with finding out what the County or Dept you are getting a job with and going with that. Or get a compact to use as a backup/off duty later. Most important "I feel" is try as many guns as you can till you find the one that fits your hand well. "I never understood the rational that every officer in a dept must use the same gun. Same cailber for dept purchase of ammo fine. But every case I have heard of where a officer has wanted to borrow ammo from another is when the first was just spraying rounds over the hood of the car. "One case a lady cop shot her 18rds then 12 from the squad and only hit a North Dakota squad>" She got a award. No suspects were hit. I talked to one of the officers afterward. He said he would never give her a round of ammo and if he saw her draw he would make sure he had hard cover. "He stated there were a few male officers he felt the same about"
Has anyone heard of a real case where a officer has given a spare mag to another officer during a fire fight? I always said that is what the shotgun or the rifle in the trunk is for. Wow did I get off the topic.
To topic, any major brand is good.

Gary has some good suggestions.
A CZ-75 would be my choice over a Ruger Auto ANYDAY.
One thing you may also consider - a .38 revolver in great mechanical condition can be had for well under 200 bucks. If you just starting out and money is a consideration - this is what I would do. A decent .38 can be stoked with some +P+ rounds - and that will give you some good protection. You can fit it with some good oversized grips - and that should serve you good for a long time to come untill you can afford that SIG or what ever other gun you REALLY want.

Yeah - I suggested a round gun... so SUE me.
I make my suggestions CASE BY CASE.
I dont just spout out - HK USP like its a knee jerk reaction.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with Ruger automatics?
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.

Ruger autos are big, heavy, and chunky but I've never handled one that didn't function 100%. They aren't accurate at long distances but up to 15 yards they're very decent. You can get one for about $300.

I also agree that a good 38, especially a police trade in that you might get for around $200, is well worth a hard look.

Member that ad a couple years back (from S&W) that showed a hamburger in the shape of a Ru@er and said, "Thick and chunky is great when you're looking for burgers and shakes." LOL :)

BTW, His Billness Ruger is the author of the low cap magazine idea foisted on us since 1994. He ain' our fren'! HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

You get what you pay for.................... Buy a Glock or HK or SIG, or you might be sorry nothing worse than buying a piece of junk that you wish you hadn't later. Cheap priced guns are always cheap made guns. You wouldn't hang from a building from sewing thread would you? Don't hang your life on the line with a junk gun either, not worth it in many ways. In a hospital you shouldn't need to use it but you might need it some other time and a quality gun will help your shooting skills also you won't have to blame or compensate for an inaccurate gun.

Well price isn't eveything. There are plenty of economy guns that are far from cheap. Aomg them I would list the Makarov, FEG (especially the HiPower clone), S&W 910, and Rugers. But that's just me.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Back