Need Some Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derius_T

I need a bit of advice before I act. This is the situation.

My oldest daughter is in 7th grade. Recently at the school, the children got tired of the lunch people not wearing hair nets, and constantly finding hair in food. The board of health has been called before, and they wear them for a few weeks, then as soon as the inspectors stop, off come the hair nets. Appearently the frequency of hair being in the childrens food is very high.

So, the childen (7th-12th) decided to peacefully protest against the cafeteria by not buying anything, or purchasing any extra items from the school. No soda, milk, ect.

This went on for a few days, and obviously the school was losing money. Over 90% of the 7th-12th grades participated.

Today, my daughter comes home, and said the principal addressed the school over the intercom today. He stated that the 'protest' by the students was now OFFICIALLY OVER, and any student caught continuing to participate in any type of student protesting, would be suspended without warning.

Now, the problem is, this pisses me off. I think its wrong for the principle to act this way. I know that the schools do what they want, often reguardless of peoples rights, and I am debating wether or not I should make a big deal over this or let it go. I have been sick to death lately of people not respecting individual rights, and I don't think this principal should be able to suspend people from school for this. After all, all they did was stop spending any money at the school. No violence, no signs, ect.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? Maybe give me some other prospectives?

Thanks in advance.

I would allow my daughter to continue the protest, as long as it was simply not purchasing items from the cafeteria. Other than not purchasing from the cafeteria.... I would not allow her to spend any other time on this protest as long as the school upper management is gunning for a fight.

Yes, the principal sounds like he/she is taking a heavy handed approach, but this is somewhat normal for schools as these life-time teachers often believe that they are god like entities and that the children and parents are scum.

Just have your daughter brown bag it.

So, the childen (7th-12th) decided to peacefully protest against the cafeteria by not buying anything, or purchasing any extra items from the school. No soda, milk, ect.

This went on for a few days, and obviously the school was losing money. Over 90% of the 7th-12th grades participated.

Today, my daughter comes home, and said the principal addressed the school over the intercom today. He stated that the 'protest' by the students was now OFFICIALLY OVER, and any student caught continuing to participate in any type of student protesting, would be suspended without warning.

Sounds strange to me, like some information is missing. Are you sure the protest was NOTHING MORE than just not buying things at the cafeteria? No signs, no letters, no comments to the staff? NOTHING?

If so, it is completely asinine for the principal to declare the protest is over. What is he going to do? MAKE the kids spend money in the cafeteria? :rolleyes:

Have the parents join in, especially at PTA meetings, etc. Support the lids, if they are truely protesting peacefully simply by not buying any food. Challenge the principal and his staff to eat there every day for the rest of the school year.

I don't sdee how they can force a student to buy lunch. If every student brown bagged it for a week, what could the school authorities say.

The pricipals comments are scare tactics, nothing more, IMHO.

Sounds strange to me, like some information is missing

you mean, like the mention of a firearm?:)

but about the protest, get as many parents and kids together as you can and ask for (demand) an "audience" with the principal about the unsanitary conditions in the lunch room.
Might want to invite the school board for good measure.
JMHO
tom

Last edited:
lunches

I would just ignore the comments of the principal---an empty threat to say the least--is he going to suspend 90% of the students??
He can't and won't--and if he picks on a few as in makes an example--I would push that and the principal would surely loose--you can't force children to spend money.
I would honestly laugh at him. Often times, people like that need to know that there are those willing to challenge something like that---I was once told by a CO that he used to look for people that would "roll over" and not fight anything--sad but true.
Sometimes you just got to call someones bluff!!

Dipper

How about writing a letter (either as an individual or as a group of parents) that states you are concerned about the information your child(ren) have been relaying regarding the quality/condition of the cafeteria food. Advise the principal that he/she can call it a protest if that is what they desire, but you refuse to buy food from the school when the quality is questionable. Maybe cc the school board and pta.

Fly

I must agree with other members who have suggested talking as a group of students and parents to the principal, and if that doesn't work go to the Superintendent or school board.

starshooter231

I appriciate the advice. I am going to talk to a few of the other parents, and go to the school and speak with the principle before I do anything else. I did find out it wasn't just food. The kids were refusing to spend ANY money at the school. Art supplies, paper, pencils, pens....nothing. But that seems as if that was the only thing happening. Smart of the kids to hit 'em in the pockets like that. I want to find out which kid thought this up.

You have to understand these teachers and staff. They are truly some of the most uneducated people I have ever met. They outlawed balloons anywhere on school property, because "we all know what a balloon sounds like if it pops now don't we?" (direct quote from teacher)

I guess if cafeteria conditions are bad enough to make that many kids get together, maybe another inspection by the board of health could be in order.

Um...is there anything that says students MUST buy anything from the school?

"They outlawed balloons anywhere on school property, because 'we all know what a balloon sounds like if it pops now don't we?' (direct quote from teacher)"...I don't know whether to laugh or cry at such stupidity.:confused::barf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back