Need Scope Mounting help...

HandCannon32x

Ok, So scopes are all a new thing to me. So I bought a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 scope. My question is, What size scope rings do I need to mount it on a Savage Axis 22-250? I want to stick with Leupold scope rings. I just need to know the size or where to find the size so I can get them ordered. Thanks

Last edited:
I use Leupold STD bases and STD medium rings on most of my rifles. The usual tube diameter of a 3-9x40 for scopes sold in the US is 1".

FH

The Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 has a 1" tube. It has a small diameter bell and you should be gtg with medium or even low rings. You want to use the lowest that allow clearance from the bolt and barrel. Leupy has good CS, call them.

I have had both Talley and Leopold rings and prefer the Tallys. Both designs are solid, and will hold the scope, but the Tally is far easier to install.

Call Natchez or someone like that. All the 3X9X40 VXII's I have are on medium rings. Leupold makes good ones, Talley are excellent. I've been having great results out of the Weaver Tactical 6 on a couple of rifles. DNZ makes an excellent 1 peice mount with integral rings. For normal uses and probably 90% of the people out there, there's no need to spend a ton of money on high dollar rings becuase you'll see no cost benefit to them.

Talley makes great rings and used their two piece integral rings on one of my rifles. Lap the rings and torque to spec. Warne makes great rings and bases as well.

With a straight comb stock , you're going to want to keep it as low as you can . Different brand rings are different heights even though they are marked low or whatever . Make sure the bolt and front bell clear . If you plan to use flip up caps , you're going to need clearence for them too . Your best bet is to go to a real Gun Shop and they'll sell you the right ones , and put them on for you . Or you can waste gas running back and forth to Wally World , and they probably won't have the right ones anyway !

Yeah, I am just gonna take the scope and rifle to bass pro and have them mount it. I want it done right and everything to clear and yes, I am planning on putting butler creek flip up caps on it.

Wanna say thanks to everyone that help and had input. Very much appreciated. :)

a 40 mm scope will probably not clear the barrel with low mounts. they work well with up to a 32mm objective but any bigger and you usually have to go with mediums up to about 44mm anything larger and tall rings are usually called for.

Scope Mount & Rings.?

I would go with the DNZ 3 piece Scope Mount & Rings.? Great reviews on them.? Just check out YOUTUBE & their Reviews.?:cool:

Will the low ones work or do they have to be mediums?

Without actually trying your model scope on your model rifle, not many people will be able to give you a factual yes or no. The best we can do is guess based on prior experience with similar combinations.

IF a low ring set would work, then that would definately give you the best performance (i.e. better cheek weld on your stock). However, the real likelyhood is that you'll have to go with mediums. Unless you are buying from a local vendor that will let you experiment, you are probably better off just buying medium rings to start with.

I just mounted a Vortex 3-9x40, and although the objective lens had space with low rings, it was touching the barrel once I put the lens caps on.

Back