need scope ideas for Savage 10FP rifle

Nate

Inactive
I will be purchasing a Savage 10FP Tactical .308 soon, and I'm totally new to scopes. I would like some ideas (specifics please) on inexpensive/quality scopes (if there is such a thing) to put on it. My budget for a scope is $225. I know Leupold is one of the best, but my checkbook simply will not allow for such a purchase. I only plan on using this rifle for long-range target shooting/plinking (probably 300 yards and up eventually). I'd like something that has adjustable magnification, and a mil dot reticle if possible (or a duplex). So, out of the cheapy brands, what do you guys suggest for best bang for the buck? I might be ordering the gun through Wal-mart so any scopes they carry would be helpful.

One in particular that I think would "look nice" is the rubber coated Tasco that they put on the "Delta" AR-15's. Would this be something that would work well for my needs (300 yards plus)?

Thanks again,
-Nate....

Nate;

If you want a MilDot AND adjustable power the only option IMO is to get one of the new Springfields. The MilDot is on a focal plane that allows it to always subtend a Mil at any power. If these scopes had been out when I was in the marked for this type of scope I would have gotten it instead of my Leupold Mark-4.

Most of the other adjustable power scopes with MilDots have to be on a certain power setting to have them subtend correctly.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I just put a Tasco 6 x 24 World Class Target/Silhouette, matte black, fine crosshair with 1/8 min dot (Model # TS624X44DS) on my Colt AR15 HBAR Target Competition model. You can score your targets (see 22 cal holes) thru the scope at 300 yards! Bright, sharp, crisp with 1/8 min click adjustable target knobs and two sunshades - of course adjustable objective - all within your price range.

I've been using Tasco's for 20 years and haven't had a bad one yet!

I put a Tasco 10x42 ss on my 10FP. Its a little over you budget but well worth it. It has mil-dot and is a very rugged scope.
Lou

Nate,
You might also want to check out some of the Swift scopes. I came across a package deal (Rem 700 ADL in .308, yes, a "dreaded" Remington ;) with a 4-12X40 Swift, hard case and 150 rounds for $500) and I'm very happy with the scope so far. I don't have alot of experience with the higher $$ scopes, so my opinion may be a bit naive.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

I have to say Mikey made a believer out of
me. He is a man that will spare no expense to have a rifle that is right. If spending more would do something noticable for him and his rifle he would spend what ever it takes. In all cases so far as long as I have known him Tasco.
Try it you just might like the low cost and what it can do.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Glover (edited April 12, 1999).]

It'll bust your budget a bit, but Leupold offers a "tactical" Vari-X II (not III) 3x-9x variable with target turrents. It can be had with a duplex reticle or a mil-dot. Check it out at www.swfa.com

Rosco

Vince.... Savage doesn't bundle its 10FP

Nate... if you look back to my original posts I bought a Sightron 4-16X with MilDots. Great optics but something was amiss with the MilDot system. Turned out ot was proprietary and far removed from USA or USMC systems. If you never learned on the round or oval military systems the Sightron one is doable. Further they've committed to switch over to the "real" military system later this year.
The scope can be had for about $300. It sounds like it might satisfy your needs as stuff like the Leupold, Springfield, or even Tasco tactical are beyond your stated price point objectives.

-=[Bob]=-

Rosco
Why not go with the VariX III 3.5x10 tactical? Better lenses and coatings; 1/4" click adjustment vs friction, and range estimation feature on the duplex reticle.

But then, there is a $140 difference.
Rich

Back