need rifle ID

randames22

I'm refurbishing a rifle for a friend of mine and would like to try and identify this thing. The only identifying marks on the rifle are on the back of the bolt, actually the safety tang has "MARK II" on it and on the barrel and receiver it has the serial number "S 1965". These are the only marks or numbers, etc on this gun. It appears to be 30 caliber or very close. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

We need more info. If you can't post a picture, can you answer the following:

Is the safety on the bolt or on the side of the receiver? If on the side, which side? Does the bolt have two locking lugs at the front? If not, does the front of the bolt unscrew? Is the magazine detachable, or is it built into the gun itself?

Jim

The bolt is jeweled and the safety is at the back, on top of the bolt. It has 1 lug at the front and does not screw off if I'm looking at it right. The magazine is built into the stock. The barrel is also 18 inches long and is one diameter for 10-1/2 inches and the remaining 7-1/2 inches is smaller. The larger diameter is .75" and the smaller being 11/16 inches. It does not taper. The bore is 8/32" (don't have a metric caliper).

Wouldn't be an Enfield
The S serial number would make it a Savage and Svage did not make a No4 mkII

Sorry, Jim, it's not a Krag. The magazine is underneath. I've shot a 30-40 a lot and this is not it. If I knew how to put a picture on here, I would. Any help there? The stock is also not the original one.

If you've GOT a picture of it, you can email it to one of us, and I'm sure we'd be able to post it. Is the safety a Mauser-type that flips over in an arc from one side of the bolt to the other, or is it a Winchester-style "wing" that stays on one side and just pushes forward and back?

The safety goes up to about 1 o'clock when on safe and goes to about 5 o'clock to fire. Also, you can't pull the trigger and rotate the bolt down instead of dry firing.

Back