**Need recommendations on a short barrel shotgun

magnum_force

I am looking for a short barreled 12 guage semiauto shotgun that holds 6 or more shots, that is reliable, and has manageable recoil for home defense. What do you recommend?

My HD shot gun is a Remington 1100 with a 21" barrel and extended mag tube and side saddle. I keep it resonably clean and it keeps on working. An 11-87 is the more modern version and has a 3" chamber. I never felt the need for 3" shells in a fighting shot gun.

The 1100/11-87 has much milder recoil that the Benelli/Beretta autos, but they are pretty darn good for this purpose also. They also cost a lot more than the 1100.

Just MHO.

Neil Casper

Since you are concerned specifically about recoil, I think the best reccomendation is the Remington 1100/11-87. They are redily available and it is easy to get accessories for them. Benelli/Beretta autos recoil more and also cost more.

You should define your idea of 'short barrel'.

Benelli makes their auto in an "Entry Gun" format with a 14" bbl., though it only has a five round tube. The gun averages about $900, + the $200 NFA transfer fee. With the smaller shot sizes that most folks load for inside the home defense, it would be manageable in recoil.

Of course, if an 18" standard bbl. is acceptable, you could get a Mossy 9200A1, but it has a standard 4rd. tube. the full size Benellis are at either 19" or 21", IIRC. Ditto for the Remington series, I think. Most folks feel that the gas operated guns have a bit less oomph than the inertial action of the Benelli, given the same load.

I bought a used 870 with an extend tube (holds 8 - 23/4 shells) and has a side saddle. It is easy to shoot with the pistol grip on, you can hold it all different ways and shoot it with out any problems. it pumps as smooth as butter and cost $275 in great cond and even had a heat sheild. It's cheaper to get a used one with all that stuff on it that add it yourself and the 870 is tough. M-2

How can a civilian purchase a benelli entry gun? I thought only LE can buy it. If there is a way for a civilian to purchase one please fill us in. Thank you.

magnum,

Civilians are allowed to buy any Class 3 firearm (machine gun, supressor, or short barreled shotgun) under the 1934 National Firearms Act.
If you want one here is what you have to do. Find a Class 3 dealer in your state and go talk to them. Tell them what you want and they can get it. Before you can take possesion of it you must fill out forms that will go to the ATF. These forms will contain your picture as well as your fingerprints and must be signed off on by your local sheriff or State Police. Once that is completed you mail the forms together with your $200.00 transfer tax to the ATF. It will take about 90 days for them to either approve or deny your application. If they approve it your dealer will get the word and you will get your gun. There are very specific laws requiring the transport and use of these weapons.
You can also take the option of finding a short barreled shotgun that is not classified as a Class 3 weapon but what is known as an AOW (Any Other Weapon). These require only a $5.00 transfer tax as opposed to the $200.00 for the Class 3.
Decide what you want and what you are willing to put up with by way of regulations and go for it. Myself I would go with the AOW and let the ATF jam the $200 bucks. That is your decision though.
You should do some reading on the net here and find out if they are legal in your state then proceed form there.

Hope that helps.

Nala

Gun Test magazine just did a comparison between 3 short barrel pump guns in the $300 range: Mossberg 500A, Remington 870 Express Magnum, and Winchester 1300 Defender. They recommended the Mossberg, and rated the other two as "Conditional Buy" if you could live with the bad sights on the Winchester or the 4+1 capacity of the Remington. They rated the Mossberg as the most accurate, and noted pluses such as a safety and slide release that can be reached without moving your trigger hand, and the 10 year warranty. I had been leaning toward the Mossberg, and that review convinced me. Bought one yesterday ($229 at a local sporting goods chain).

Back