Need recommendation for shooting glasses

SkinnyDip

Inactive
I need to get some shooting glasses. Prefer not to spend a lot of money but I don't want distortion either. Can you recommend me some?

Choices ???

Can you recommend me some?
Kind of depends on their use and there are many to choose from. As far as properties; most are Polycarbonate and sideshields are a must. Harbor Frieght would be the low end and from their, the price goes up. In my previous lives, I had to wear persription safety glasses that I also used for sooting. Then you have some that are tinted. I own a pair of cases S&W shooting glassses that were "pretty". They mostly sit in the drawer. ...... :rolleyes:

I once saw a pair on TV that were advertised as being able to stop a .357 Mag.
Your head may come off but the glasses would servive ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I liked a brand of safety glasses called Starlight or starlite ... I think... used to get them at airgas
Depends a lot on you, some frames of some glasses block the sight

Edit,
It is StarLite... they were very clear and had all kinds of different tint

I use Harbor freight eye protection. No problems so far and when they get scratched up I spend another couple of bucks and get some more. I keep several in my range bag so I can hand a new shooter eye protection and not worry.

I'm sure the OP has already made up his mind, but one thing to consider is, what kind of hearing protection will he be using with his glasses?

If he's using muffs, the glasses depicted in the link in the post above mine will negate the seal the cups make around the ears.

From another thread/forum concerning hearing protection:
Theres some out there that have very wide stem (or ear piece, temple, whatever you want to call them) that also tend to flex away from your head. Those will render a good set of ear pro almost useless. Many shooters don't even realize why their ear pro doesn't work so well. The very smallest, thinest, tightest to the head glasses seal the best.

If the shooter is only using plugs, that's different.

I'm considering these muffs for just that reason:
https://noisefighters.com/collections/product-lineup/products/sightlines1

If you want glassed specifically designed for shooting where the best view is above the center of the lens, those will cost. Randolph, Pilla, Decot and similar brands have been making excellent glasses (especially prized by the shotgun guys) for decades. Mine are scrips and they work great

Every eye doctor I have used, have a selection of safety glasses that meet OSHA requirements. Last pair was $150ish. Ugly but useful. I didn't say it was for shooting but rather bifocals for reading and for computer work. My description of how far away my computer screen matched the tip of a 5" barrel. Oddly enough, they work well for the computer too.

Back