Need Reading to Improve Awareness

ThePatriot29

Hey,
I'm looking for books, readings, etc, for friends of mine to read. I want them to be able to read some stuff about improving situational awareness, and combat will/mindset. Not so much nuts and bolts of fighting, but more what a girl friend would benefit from in preparing to be mentally capable of avoiding a confrontation, or psychologically capable of using deadly force.

Already have Cooper's Color Code system, need more along these lines. Would some wise member care to offer their opinion?

Here's some I like.

Real World Survival! What Has Worked For Me, by Walt Rauch.

The Truth About Self Protection, by Massad Ayoob

Quick Or Dead by William L. Cassidy.

There are more out there, but I reread these every now and then.

The Principals of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker

SOS (Select Optimum Stragety) by Tony Blauer

Real Knockouts by Martha McCaughey

Effective Defense by Gila Hayes

There is only so much you are going to get from a book. I like Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense."

Also Sanford Strong's "Strong on Defense" is one of the best books I read on the subject. He's not really into guns for the average citizen because he realized that most folks don't train or they get a false sense of security from them, but he is full of common sense advice.

Aside from that, practise! Look around you, look for the threats/potential threats. Read about different incidents and look for similarities in your surroundings. When you start you are almost paranoid, but it becomes second nature.

At first you have to simply make a conscious effort to be aware of what is going on, and it then become second nature. I recently was walking to my car and I noticed that I was scanning the parking lot for no other reason than that is what I always do. At some point it will become programmed and eventually, you will see things subconsciously and begin to react to them before your conscious mind processes the information.

Regards,
Chuck

Back