Need opinions on S&W 6906

Status
Not open for further replies.

Correia

A friend of mine is looking at getting one of these used but in good condition but cheap. Any opinions on them from those of you who have used them. He is looking at using it as a concealed carry gun.
Thanks in adavance.

[This message has been edited by Correia (edited October 14, 1999).]

The S&W 6906 is one of my favorite 9mm's. Small, narrow, 12 round mag. It's a tough gun to beat. They depreciate quickly, so you should be able to find a good deal on a used one. Enjoy.

Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited October 15, 1999).]

Fine for a DA/SA type pistol and has an interesting heritage which I don't think has been discussed here.

The pistol's design may be loosely traced to the Walther P38. If you have a chance, compare the slide and how the safety features located in the slide of the Walther. It was duplicated in the S&W - even down to the firing pin safetly lock which is held in place by the rear sight. On the frame, the Walther trigger bar concept is copied by most modern DA/SA pistols including S&W. The major differences are, the open top and falling block locking piece of the Walther (used now on the Beretta 92 and Taurus 99) and the closed top with convential modified Browning tilting barrel design on the S&W.

So, is the S&W a sound design? Yep. While it's still the basic Model 39 introduced to the market in the '50s, it benefits from improved human engineering.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Had one for years, ended up trading it for some AR parts after I got into 1911s. Over all I found the pistol to be very well made and very reliable, but not exceptionaly accurate. I also seem to rember it as being little bulky for conceled carry (this may be because I'm used to single stack compacts now).

I know agencies that have had problems with them chipping the lower portion of the extractor, thereby causing feeding problems. If it happens the answer is to replace the defective part with the carbon steel version.

I have owned/carried a 6906 for almost ten years (two different guns.) It was my first handgun purchase after I turned 21.

I like it. It never malfunctions. Never.

My current model (6 or 7 years old, got it just after they started making them with the Novaks) has some pitting in the aluminum frame, on the front strap.

I've never had any work done to the gun, nor have I added anything except a 15 round Ram-line mag.

The single action pull is too heavy. I've been meaning to have that fixed for about, oh, 6 or 7 years now.

Not as accurate as my P220, but good enough for serious social work.

I carry Cor-Bon 115 gr in it.

As an economical alternative, your friend might consider the 6904 (I think that's the model #.) Same gun, but with a blued slide, blued mags, and black aluminum frame.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited October 18, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back