need opinions on 2 handguns

xeper1

Inactive
today i traded for two handguns:

Ruger P90 .45ACP
Jennings .25ACP (for my wife)

does anyone have any experience with either of these?

------------------
power to pokemon,

xeper1

The Ruger's cool... a real workhorse of a gun. I would, however, recommend losing the Jennings (if you like your wife, that is). In my limited experience with them, they are a dangerously unreliable and flimsy handgun. If cost is the issue, trade for an inexpensive used DA .38 revolver such as a Taurus or Rossi. You'll sleep a lot better.

From what I've heard (not firsthand) the Jennings are jammamatics. I've never fired one. I remember reading on another BB that a guy couldn't get through a mag without a jam. You might as well try it out and see how it functions. If you experience any problems I would take JJR's advice and trade for a good DA revolver. Shake

[This message has been edited by Shake (edited December 23, 1999).]

The P90 is great. Probably best to just melt the Jennings. If I had one again, I wouldn't give it to anyone I cared about.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Get rid of that Jennings FAST!!!!!!!!
All that it is good for is getting a quick $50 from a "no questions asked" liberal, commie gun buy back program!!!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Ditto.

The Ruger is a fine pistol. I had one of the first of it's predessors (the P-89).

Toss the Jennings. If you value the safety of your wife and those around her arm her with something she can count on. If cost is a factor then opt out for a small frame Taurus or a used S&W. Also check out the Ruger SP101. This is a great pockett gun and I enjoyed using one myself for quite some time.

Please........throw away the Jennings.

Merry Christmas

this sucks. i'd prefer to stick with a 25 or 32 ACP calibre, so if jennings is untrustworthy, what is your recommendation?

------------------
power to pokemon,

xeper1

Xeper1,
Take a look at the Beretta Tomcat. It's a .32 cal. They have also recently come out with a Tomcat in stainless steel. The Tomcat holds 7+1 rounds. Hope this might be of help.

I would suggest getting a Walther PPK.
Slim,compact .380 cal. (9mm kurtz).
Better round than the .32 ACP!!!!
But if you like, it can be had in .32 ACP too.

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited December 24, 1999).]

First, I'd advise against anything less than a 9mm when it comes to defense. On that note I'd buy her a Kahr MK9. She is your most valuble asset, right? Is'nt she worth it?

If your looking to save some cash, and still have a decent gun, I'd buy a Makarov in 9mm Mak. More than .380, less than 9mm Para.

If you insist on a .25/.32, I'd suggest a Beretta even though I'm not a big fan of Beretta in general.

[This message has been edited by BB (edited December 24, 1999).]

Friends don't let friends shoot POS Jennings .25s... ugh!

There are lots of ex-police stainless S&W .38Spl revolvers in nice shape to be had for $175. And .357 Mags for under $200. A novice is best served with a swing-out cylinder revolver. -- Kernel

the calibre selection is due to her being intimidated by my 9mm S&W Sigma, which was part of the trade. She really needs something small. She likes the Jennings so far, but of course we haven't shot it at the range yet. In other words, she's comfortable with a small frame low-calibre pistol.

Take your wife to the range and try
a 38 or 9mm.

Also, take into account, how you are going
to carry (if that is the plan).

But try 'em - don't just buy for her.

Go with a KelTec P-32 if she wants a small, light concealable,reliable .32 cal semi.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane :D

232.gif

Classic rookie mistake, women pick .25s because they look so small and non-threatening. Two problems with this: 1) most of the guns are POS, and 2) if you shoot someone with a .25 they get very mad.... if they find out.

At least get her into a .380. The SIG 232 is very nice. -- Kernel

Back