Need opinion - Mossberg 500 stock

Black Adder LXX

Hello all. I've had a Mossberg 500 for a while and have wanted to fit it with a telescoping stock so my wifey can shoot it too. Her arms are a LOT shorter than mine. I'm thinking for both our sakes of changing my stock out to a telescoping/recoil reducing stock. The main function of this gun is home defense. Can the shotgun gurus here recommend a stock for me that will be effective without costing more than the gun was? :)

My opinion is that you should stay away from the stocks that incorporate a pistol grip for a Mossberg 500. The safety and slide release controls are better suited to a standard style stock. Also, a pistol grip tends to tweak your wrist somewhat while firing.

I would do one of two things.

1: Get a 12" LOP Hogue stock. This will shorten up the LOP for your wife and you might find you like it short as well (a lot of guys like this shorter LOP for a HD weapon).
http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4615
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDUmgODXSvk

or

2: Get an ATI Akita adjustable stock. This will allow you to adjust anywhere from 12.375" up to 14.375". so you can switch between a short and long LOP. (comes with a nice cheekrest as well).
http://www.atigunstocks.com/akita-adjustable-stocks/428-mossberg-akita-adjustable-stock-.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yvhyh0ehm0

If you like the longer LOP, I think the Akita is perfect.

My opinion is that you should stay away from the stocks that incorporate a pistol grip for a Mossberg 500. The safety and slide release controls are better suited to a standard style stock.

This. ^

Some companies make an over-sized safety for the Mossbergs, but I have no experience with them, and I'm not sure if they allow you to reach the safety without taking your hand off the shotgun.

A better alternative altogether would be a stock like the Magpul SGA (or others) that have interchangeable spacers to adjust LOP.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Does the Akida do recoil suppression too? My wifey is small and will never feel comfortable using this thing if I can't do something about the recoil on this thing.

Does the Akida do recoil suppression too?

Outside of the recoil pad, I do not believe so. Truthfully, I've tried a co-workers "compstock" that is supposed to be recoil reducing.. and it didn't change that much in my opinion. I found that lower recoil ammunition actually nets better recoil reducing results.

It almost sounds like she should have her own shotgun dedicated for herself.. something in a little lighter gauge? maybe a 20 gauge youth shotgun? A 12 gauge is a 12 gauge and no matter the fancy stocks and ammo, it will still have a 12 gauge kick to it.

Edit**

Did your wife fire the mossberg yet? Fit has a lot to do with how you preceive recoil in a shotgun. You might not be giving her enough credit as well... you can't tell what people can handle on their size alone.

My wife is a little thing too.. and when I brought her out shooting I had her shooting my .22lr revolver... you know.. the whole "little woman can't hang with the big boys thing" (yeah right).. Well, we went out with a few freinds shooting and she shot his .45acp 1911 like it was made for her. I would have never thought that a little whip of a girl with two past hand surgeries would end up liking .45acp semis, lol. life lesson learned ;)

Last edited:
Did your wife fire the mossberg yet? Fit has a lot to do with how you preceive recoil in a shotgun. You might not be giving her enough credit as well... you can't tell what people can handle on their size alone.

My wife is a little thing too.. and when I brought her out shooting I had her shooting my .22lr revolver... you know.. the whole "little woman can't hang with the big boys thing" (yeah right).. Well, we went out with a few freinds shooting and she shot his .45acp 1911 like it was made for her. I would have never thought that a little whip of a girl with two past hand surgeries would end up liking .45acp semis, lol. life lesson learned

She has not fired it. It was too long for her to hold comfortably. I think in her case it's a matter of what is comfortable to hold. She liked my GP100 because it fit in her hand, hated my Beretta 9mm because the double stack mag well was too big and the gun didn't fit her hand. I got her a 642 which she kind of likes, but loves my Buckmark. The biggest thing for her is that over a long process of 7 years or so I wore her down form being vehemently anti-gun to understanding the need to protect one's family, to enjoying shooting. So I take extra care to make sure she's happy when I can. And that 500 is a BEAST. I wouldn't mind some recoil reduction myself! But you might have a point with his/hers shotguns. That might end up being the way to go. I need to chew on that a while.

I too would recommend against an AR style pistol grip stock on a M500, it does make the controls very difficult to manipulate from a shooting position (AR style stocks are useable on a Remington 870 however, IMHO).

I bought one a couple of years ago and put it on one of my M500s, used it for less than a month, then removed it and gifted it to a buddy because he liked the "tactical" look.

I found it made the safety basically impossible for me to operate and the slide release was extremely difficult to engage. IMO the tang safety on a M500 is one of its best selling points, especially for a HD shotgun, as it makes the gun more manageable for a left handed shooter (like my Dad who has been a Mossberg man my whole life) and also makes it better suited to weak side shooting by a righty (like me who prefers the M500 for HD for a variety of reasons).

I also recommend trying the 12" L.O.P. stock, I have one on the M500 by my bed and would't have anything else for HD. It makes the gun very maneuverable in tight spaces, such as hallways and around corners.

Combined with an 18.5" barrel, the 12" L.O.P. stock makes the M500 a very compact weapon. Add a Surefire flashlight, and I consider the whole package to be the cats pajamas for a home defense shotgun.

Papershotshells

If you wife is small enough that she cannot safely hold a normal stock, then there is also a high likelihood that she will not handle the recoil of a 12ga. You'll be buying an expensive stock that she'll never use.

Do both of yourselves a favor and spend the money buying a 20ga youth shotgun. If you shop around, you can pick up a used gun for not much over a couple hundred.

I've had the telescoping stocks, and they are... a little less than pleasant to shoot.

One thing you should consider is the Magpul stock. It has 4 adapter plates to easily adjust the length of pull. Not as fast as a telescoping stock, sure, but it's just a quick screw and slide them off.

I love the magpul stock on my 590. I have run with the factory stock, Hogue 12" LOP stock, Blackhawk Knox Stock, and (I forget the brand, but I had the fixed telescoping stock too - mine was not Mesa).

Magpul is definitely my favorite to date.

Rb9ET97.jpg

If you wife is small enough that she cannot safely hold a normal stock, then there is also a high likelihood that she will not handle the recoil of a 12ga. You'll be buying an expensive stock that she'll never use.

Do both of yourselves a favor and spend the money buying a 20ga youth shotgun. If you shop around, you can pick up a used gun for not much over a couple hundred.

I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion. I've spent a couple of hours on various HD sites looking at the same subject. Maybe I'll just outfit my mossy for me and get her a 20 ga.

@UncleMalice - that is one sweet looking shotgun!

You know,

My mother-in-law bought a shotgun last year. She has a pistol permit, but her wrists hurt trying to shoot anything bigger then a .22lr, so she wanted something for HD she could handle. She is very short and has short, stocky arms. She is also very recoil sensitive. She took me with her when she went shopping and tried all types of shotguns for fit at the store.

The one she ended up really liking was a .410 Mossberg Model 505 Youth. I have to tell you.. I really like that gun and it is a hoot to shoot :)

They come in either .410 or 20 gauge. Very compact feeling (compared to my 12 gauge with my preferred full length 14" LOP stock) and nicely finished with the blued metal and wood furniture. Was not costly either (if I remember.. she picked it up at Cabela's).

worth a look perhaps..

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-youth-all-purpose/57110

There are many "HD" .410 loads...

Winchester has a couple of options.
2 1/2 lenth 000-buck 3-pellets, velocity 1300 fps (XB41000)
3" length 000-buck 5-pellets, velocity 1135 fps (XB413)
2 1/2" length 3-discs/12-BB's, velocity ? (S410PDX1)

Remington has a .410 shotshell.
2/12" length 000-buck 4-pellets,velocity ? (410B00HD)

Sellier & Bellot has some 00-buck.
3" length 00-buck 5-pellets,velocity 1230 fps (SB410B)

There are some. some of those velocity numbers are real close to what I load in my 12-gauge ( 12g. win super-X 00-buck 9-pellets ,1325 fps). That Sellier & Bellot load looks real good.. never used it, but for the volocity and 5-pellets of 00-Buck.. that would do it .

Back