- Bolt action
- Stainless barrel and action
- synthetic stock
- 223/5.56
- relatively light weight preferred, if possible
- 20 inch barrel (or 18 maybe)
- no iron sights required
- prefer a used rifle
- heavy barrel would be Ok, but standard barrel preferred.
- prefer it to be very accurate, so if that means heavy barrel, Ok.

Preferred maker would be Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Weatherby, CZ, Tikka, Sako. Not interested in Savage (no offense intended). I want a real shooter. What do you have that fits my specs listed above, shoots extremely well, and that you would recommend? Thanks.

Off the top of my head My first choice would be a CZ 527 bolt action carbine. I have one in 7.62x39mm and it shoots fine. They also make one in .223, but I have no experience with that model. The gun is trim, 18.5 barrel, wood stock and fine balance. Check them out when you can.

I do have a Winchester Model 70 VH (Varmint) in 223. It is a very heavy bull barrel gun, but a real 500 yard squirrel killer, if your eyes can handle the optics of that distance. It is an amazing rifle also, but needs to be carried by a grandson, in my case.

A Tikka Hunter or T3 Lite should be very nice for hunting. They're guaranteed to shoot 1" or better, but my .243 Win, T3 Lite shoots 3/8" with handloads and that's without doing any work besides adjusting the trigger with the supplied hex wrench. I suspect a .223 Rem would shoot at that well with some factory loads.

Picher, that T3 lite stainless looks like just what I need - stainless, light weight, accurate. Thanks for the suggestion. I might want to rethink the caliber. Maybe I'll sell my Ruger 77 Compact in 260 and get the T3 in 260. The Ruger is great and really light and easy to handle, but I'd like a bit longer barrel and I can get the T3 with a 20 inch barrel.

Why don't you rebarrel your River with the length of barrel you want? It probably would cost the same as buying a Tikka. I know it is more expensive but at least you have exactly what you want.

Rebarreling is an option. I emailed two guys that I know that like the Ruger. If one of them goes for it, then I'll get the Tikka. If not, I'll probably rebarrel the Ruger. But...I know that I'm going to want a new and lightweight synthetic stock for the Ruger eventually. Add that to the cost of a new barrel, and I'm probably better off dollarwise with the Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless. It's not something that I just have to do, but I just spent a fortune putting new floors in our house (and it's a new house) just because the wife wanted new floors. I can get a new rifle and right now she won't say a word. I hate to waste this moment where she owes me, but I'm not going to buy a new rifle without getting rid of one that I have.

The new FN made winchester model 70 is what you need. Exactly what you need.

Have fun finding one used, especially in stainless. best bet is to buy new.

To add, just bought a rem 700 ADL for $379 with sporter weight barrel. Gun is very light. Did this at the range while sighting in. The far left hole is my fault.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353627044.463656.jpg

So I'd say rem 700 though I don't know that this level of accuracy is common. I may have gotten lucky. I've seen lots of folks happy with the FN made M70's so that's my recommendation. I couldn't afford one.

Just sold the Ruger. Now I'll shop for the Tikka T3 lite stainless in 260. If any of you know who's got a good price or the best price, do let me know. Thanks.

Back