Need information on 2 S&W revolvers

Bottom Gun

Maybe someone can give me some information or history on a couple of revolvers I've recently acquired?

One is a S&W Mod 686, round butt, 4" bbl marked CS-1 inside the crane.

The other is a S&W Mod 629-2, round butt, 3" bbl.

I believe the 629 is one of the guns Smith made for Lou Horton. Anyone know where to get a good holster for a 3" N-frame?

I'd appreciate any information you guys can share with me on these.

Thanks!!
BG

The 3" 629 was likely distributed by Lew Horton; whether it is a Lew Horton Special is another question (I've got one that isn't). Actually I have two 3" 629's, which is a sign of something, I'm not sure what... For a holster, talk to Marty at First American Ordnance, www.holster-connection.com, 800-982-4009. They have a couple of good ones that are not expensive. Don't get the Galco Silhouette, because unlike the misleading picture in the Galco catalog, it leaves the trigger completely exposed. I initially bought that one and sent it back.

I have a 4-inch RB 686 just as you describe. The "CS" stands for U.S. Customs Service. Apparently these revolvers were overruns on a Customs Service contract--or maybe they were designed for the Customs Service but were not actually purchased by them. Anyway, the CS model was made in both 3- and 4-inch barrel lengths. The finish on mine is a satin stainless that differs from the usual brushed stainless on S&W revolvers at the time mine was made (around 1987 or 1988).

I also had a chance to get the 3-inch but didn't act quickly enough. Too bad, too, because it has a nice balance.

Hope this helps.

Back