Need info on this blunderbuss

historybug

Inactive
I'm looking for info on this antique blunderbuss and what it might be worth. The only ones I've found with this short stock in relation to the barrel are early 19th century - around the time of the War of 1812.

Can anybody tell me if I'm on the right track for time frame and if not, what this might be? Also some rough idea what it might be worth?

Thanks in advance for your help!

historybug

Attachments

• 08_24_12.jpg
    08_24_12.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 160
  • 08_24_15.jpg
    08_24_15.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 08_24_16.jpg
    08_24_16.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 117
At the very least, we'd need some close-up pictures of any of the proof-marks, stamps, or engraved markings on it to be able to even guess; as it is, the lock and hammer looks very much like it came off a modern reproduction "kit", so it may not even be an actual antique.

Also,1812 is a little early for the percussion ignition system. The percussion cap came into use until the 1830's

Last edited:
Just off the cuff, I'd say that that has no style attributes from the early 19th century, but a lot from the later 19th century.

Also, the proportions of the buttstock are WAY off.

My best guess I that it's a homemade chop job.

I am with Mike and SDC. Barring some info from clearer pictures, I would say the gun dates a lot closer to the Iraq War than to the War of 1812. An inexpensive kit gun would be my guess, but it could be home made.

Jim

Thanks for help on the flintlock

Thanks very much, guys. One of my customers sent me pictures of this thing, and I was having a hard time finding anything remotely like it to compare it to!

historybug

Back