NEED INFO ON S&W 645

bigfoot4

CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT THE 645. I KNOW EVERYONE IS ANTI-
S&W RIGHT NOW BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE GO FOR WHAT IS AVAILABLE. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

S&W 645 is the first 45cal pistol made by S&W. These were made from 1987 untill 1990 or so. Its a full size da/sa stainless steel pistol with 8 rounds mag capacity.
645s are the only production guns that were test fired with 50 rounds of different ammo (each gun!). They will feed empty cases!
As far as price goes, they can be found in almost new condition under $400.
I have one and do not hasitate to carry it.

What oktagon said.

I bought my 645 new a few months after the model was introduced. It's proven to be perfectly reliable and is a keeper.

An LEO friend of mine carries a 645 as his service sidearm.

One of the things I like about this gun is that it's all steel, with minor exceptions like the grips, red ramp front sight insert, and mag followers (but the early 645 mag followers were steel, too).

One more caveat. The mainspring cover on the backstrap is a separate plastic piece. It can break with a modest impact, which will render the gun useless with no tension on the mainspring. Thankfully, I've only seen it once personally, with only one other second-hand account. Relatively slim, and light for a service size steel .45, I wouldn't discourage you from getting one.

Bigfoot,
If you can pick up a 4506. These too can be had for an economical price, it is the next 45 in line from the 645. And, it will feed just about anything you can think of.

Back