need info on S & W .41 Magnum 657 4" Mountain Gun

quiet guy

Would like to know as much as possible about this handgun. What are the specific differences between the Mountain Gun and the standard version? When were these guns manufactured? Is this a sufficent round if I happen upon a black bear while camping? I currently own a stainless steel 4" barrel "L" frame .357, shooting 158 gr. is a delight. How does the recoil, noise and flash of a .41 magnum compare? How is the availability and variety of ammo?

I have many additional questions, are there any other written or internet source I can access?

I'm going on a 3 week camping trip in Upstate New York this summer. Lots of hiking and backpacking off the beaten trail, just want to be ready. All info is very much appreciated.

Can't give you all the details about the gun, I just wanted to assure that .41Mag can handle anything on legs in the Northeast. Our bears and other varmints are plenty large, here in N.M., and I've been hauling around a .41 of one type or another for >20 yrs. Swear by 'em.

The 657 "Mountain Gun" is a lightened verson of the 657 4". It has a slim Military & Police type barrel, although it does have an ejector rod shroud (unlike a Model 58, which does not.) It is a round butt "N" Frame, and is, therefore, NOT a light weight! I use mine as back-up when bear/boar hunting. It IS a handfull with my standard load: 225 gr H&G Keith Type over 21 gr WW296 for circa 1,300 fps.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

Back