Need info on old 10 Guage shotgun

Lennyjoe

I've been given a shotgun from my father and am interested in its history. Its a 10 Guage double barrel, 3 1/2' mag, 31 inch barrels and both are full choke. The stamp on the underside says Sloan S.G. Co. of New York NY. The right barrel has P.O.S. "Pride of Spain" ingraved on it. SN# 39823. Any info would be appreciated. Such as quality, worth and so on. Thanks.

Does it really say "POS"? That is likely very appropriate. IIRC, those Spanish doubles were imported in the 1960-1980 period and were far better looking outside than inside. Parts tend to be soft and hand fitted. If anything breaks, you are on your own. Having a gunsmith make a part might cost almost as much as the gun is worth.

The name Sloan is not on a list of current firearms importers and is far too common for any meaningful web search.

They are safe enough and adequate for the duck and goose hunting they were designed for. I will bow to anyone with a better figure, but I would say it is worth about $300.

Jim

No real information to add to above. According to Side by Sides of the World by Charles E. Carder;

"SLOANS:
Sloans Importers of New York City have offered side by side shotguns from European manufacturers since about 1900. During that time they had imported Charles Daly doubles. In recent years they imported Spanish made shotguns.
POS; Various gauges, boxlock, double triggers, checkered wood, pistolgrip, beavertail forearm
POS; as above, except 10 ga. 3 1/2 inch Mag
POS Coach Gun; 12/20 ga. sidelock, outside hammers, double triggers, checkered wood, pistolgrip"

Sounds like they shopped around for inexpensive European shotguns to import, then imported whatever fit their criteria at that particular time.

Please permit a general comment on Spanish guns and production methods, since they will have a bearing on the decision on whether to buy the guns.

With the exception of a few companies like Astra, most Spanish firearms production is still literally a cottage industry. A factory makes a part as a rough casting or forging. When some of these are made, they are taken to one or more home workmen who grind and file and fit the part to a jig, and return it to the factory, where it is fitted into a gun. Then it is removed, hardened, finished, or whatever. The gun is then assembled, with maybe a little more hand work, and packed for shipping.

But note that part about hardening. If the gun is to be sold really cheap, that part may be skimped. The gun will work for a while, and then quit.

The problem in all this is that parts are never interchangeable. Worse, when something breaks, say a hammer, the spare part the gunsmith gets is the rough forging from the factory. The American gunsmith can certainly duplicate the work of the Spanish home worker, but believe me he gets a lot more money per hour and the part ends up costing enough to make the customer very unhappy. This is not a Remington 870, where all the parts drop in and fit; this is the Pride of Spain!

Jim

Back