need info on M14

titleman2005

A Buddy Has An M14 For Sale. The Gun Is In Good Sahpe. The Bolt Is Chrome And Looking Into The Barrel It Is Also Chrome.. On The Right Side Behind The Operating Rod Is The Words "united States Navy" The Words Encircle An Eagle With Spread Wings. Is This A Civilan Weapon. He Wants $1200. Is That A Good Bye Or Is He Asking Too Much. Any Info Would Be Great

Eagle mark

That mark was used by the Navy. Assuming the mark is not a phony. That part started life as a select fire M14.

A legal live M14, that is a real USGI rifle with selector switch or a place to put one and with accompanying paperwork and registration to show it is legally owned by an American, would be worth far more than $1200.

A hot live M14 with selector switch OR EVEN A PLACE TO PUT ONE without paperwork is highly illegal and is worth $10,000... in fines that is, plus five years in the federal slammer.

Other possibilities include some kind of "commemorative" with Navy insignia on a Springfield commercial semi-auto M1A which would not be a bad deal at $1200, but not a bargain, either; or a "commemorative" with Navy insignia on a Communist Chinese Polytech or Norinco semi-auto knockoff, for which $1200 would be a ripoff.

With a VERY few exceptions, any M14 rifle made by the government Springfield Armory*, IHC, TRW, or Winchester was made as a selective fire weapon and is a machinegun under the law, whether the full auto parts or the place to put them are present or not.

Yes, I know all about one court case involving TWO rifles, which is why I said "exceptions", but believe me, those guns would not be for sale at $1200. Any M14 rifles loaned by the government to state associations remain U.S. property; one of those for sale is not only illegal as a machinegun, it is stolen property as well.

*Springfield Armory, Inc., a private company, has made thousands of legal semi-auto near-copies of the M14, called the M1A; other companies have also made semi-auto only copies. One company made M14 rifles by welding scrapped M14 parts together; ATF seized their products and arrested the owners. The owners were convicted of other charges, but the rifles are contraband nonetheless.

Jim

Back