Need info on Ithaca 100 Double bbl (SXS)

jwise

My uncle has recently passed away, and my aunt is trying to find out how much his Ithaca 100, side-by-side double barrel shotgun is worth. He bought it new in 1981, and probably never shot it. I don't know what gauge it is, but I have my mom trying to find out.

Anybody know how much it's worth? She's trying to figure out if it's worth selling, giving away, or just keeping. Thanks!

I have sent, by separate email, what I have on Ithaca. Ithaca made several grades of their SXS's and the values are wide spred. Possibly if you could provide a photos, or description what is on the gun. What is stamped on the ourside, and also what is stamped, after removing the barrels, on the bottom of the barrels, or on the water table.

HJN

Thanks Harley- I don't have the shotgun here with me. I appreciate the info you sent, very helpful!

Thanks!

Twelve years ago my uncle passed away, leaving his 20ga shotgun to his wife (he had no sons, and his daughter is/was a junkie).

Just recently, my aunt passed away. She never did sell that shotgun, so it came to me.

I look forward to busting some clays with it this fall.

It looks unfired, am I wrong?

That was made for Ithaca in Japan by SKB. The "new" SKB (name rights owned by GU in Omaha) now has the guns made in Turkey by AKUS.
It is a nice well-made gun; not top tier, but solid.

Here is a 12 for sale, asking price is $800:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...00-european-sxs-12-gauge.cfm?gun_id=100712087

20 might fetch a little more, depending on barrel length, choke, etc.

Here is a 20 for the same amount:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...a-model-100-sxs-20-gauge.cfm?gun_id=100701290

Good looking gun. Condition sure looks new. You're probably correct in guessing it was never fired. Congrats on the very nice acquisition.

it is extremely rare to find a factory barrel (that hasn't been shortened, or a slug gun), with "no chokes".

If what you mean is there are no screw in choke tubes, then, yes. But that's not the same as "no choke". Prior to the advent of the screw in tubes, the choke was simply made into the barrel.

Typical for a double gun is the left barrel choked a degree tighter than the right barrel. Common combinations are cylinder/improved cylinder, improved cylinder/modified, and modified/full.

Special order guns (more common in the pre WWII days) could be any choke combination the customer wanted. I have my Grandfather's 1909 Flues model 12ga, and its choked FULL/FULL, per his request.

There should be a marking or a code on the barrels (somewhere) giving the chokes. Although there may not be. I'm no expert on SKB but a 1980s gun ought to be marked, somewhere, though it maybe something we might not recognize at a glance. might be something like a * or ** somewhere, or some other symbol.

Nice looking gun, looks unfired, but might have been shot a few times, then cleaned, no way to know, really.

25" barrels will have more open fixed chokes. Typically, the longer the barrels, the tighter the chokes. I'm thinking those barrels are eihter SK/IC or IC/M.

Added: Found this on an ad for another model with same barrels in 20:

, with handy 25" barrels choked IC/M (.007/.013,

A lot of grouse hunters and similar who hunt in tight thick cover like the shorter barrels

i had a 20ga ithaca 280E engraved in ex condition, but it just didn,t fit me and i sold it to a friend and he shoots it very well, i think i sold it for 800.00 a little while ago. eastbank.

These are good guns.
The 100 with its plain extractors is very popular in CAS, and of course it is a fine bird gun. (I live in the Old South, "birds" are quail, period.)

Back