Need info on FN/Browning Light 12

ammoeater

Can anyone offer some info on a FN/Browning Light 12? My buddy just received one from a neighbor. It is approx. 20+ years old, in 90% condition. It is a Light 12, chambered for 2 /34" with a vented rib barrel, manufactured in Belgium. The barrel was modified for what the old-timer called a "poly choke" that looks like a muzzle brake. I would like to know what it is worth, and if it is a rare shotgun. Also, are replacement barrels available? Any info is much appreciated, guys.

It's not rare, it's not inexpensive, and it is an excellent shotgun.There may be some mild collector value, tho the Belgians that do have collector value tend to be the O/Us.

Some bbls may be available, but I'm not sure which ones. That Poly Choke is a good adjustable choke, tho most folks find having what seem to be a birdcage on the end of their bbl distracting or unesthetic. If someone had given me one, I'd probably keep it just as it is, and thank them fervently.

That would be a great dove, pheasant and general upland gun with perhaps a recoil pad(if it needs one) and some stock fitting. I'd get a new set of springs and friction rings just for GPs and keep the old ones for spares my great grandchildren might need. Wearing out an A-5 takes dedication...

The browning A5 is, IMO, the finest shooting semi auto shotgun ever made. Not the most modern, but still the best.

Value can range from $250-$1250 depending on condition and modifications (poly choke hurts the value).

Spend some time with it & you'll be hooked. Everyone I know who's tried them becomes an addict like me.

Back