Need info on bullets for 9mm

swampyMO

To all,

I'm getting my first 9mm in a few days and am looking into components for loading. I have plenty of powders to try from my .45ACP & .45 Colt colletion (Unique, WW231, 700X, Red-Dot), but don't have a clue about bullets.

I've heard that 9mm's don't seem to like cast lead too much. Is this true?? Would like to hear discussion here about that, pro & con.

What about jacketed slugs??? Are there any good, economical bullets out there that work well?? I've been looking at the Remington 115 gr. JHP as a possibility. It is relatively cheap and available in bulk. Any other possibilities?? More discussion requested.

Thanks all,
Swampy

I find FMJ are not much more than lead. Depends on how many you buy. I always buy
1,000 or more at a time. Shipping can kill you. Lead run about $30-$34 per thousand. I'm paying about $44 a thousand for FMJ. If you cast bullets then the lead is far cheaper.

If you go to www.midwayusa.com, you can find some great deals on Winhester bullets. I think 1,000 9mm JHP were going for about $45.99. FMJ were a bit cheaper.

I have found that most 9mm handguns will shoot lead ok, but if you use soft lead, prepare to do some serious barrel scrubbing!

Just don't shoot lead in a Glock.

Lasercast has good hard cast lead bullets, and I've found many different sources of fmj and jhp fodder, I've used midway, Ron Shirk and natchez among others. Hornady XTP's are available in 9mm trim and are usually not as expensive as other HP's for reloading.

The MOST important thing to remember ion loading 9mm is that case capacity varies WIDELY between mfg's. It REALLY easy to create a high pressure load (esp with lead) because you are using mixed cases.

I'd recommend getting a bulk deal on some once fired COMMECIAL brass (nickel is nice too) and work up your loads.
I've sucessfully loaded 9mm with red dot but your guns get pretty dirty shooting the stuff.

Hope it helps,

Dr.Rob

I have never had success (good accuracy) with cast bullets in 9MM and I have tried them in several different guns. Presently I buy 124 grain Hornady FMJ FP bullets from www.midsouthshooterssupply.com. I buy 1000 at the time and their prices are reasonable. Accuracy is the best I have found in 9MM bullets. Try 4.2 grains of TiteGroup with this bullet.

Good Shooting

Go to Berry's Bullets at http://www.berrysmfg.com/.

Great copper plated bullets, cheaper than Rainers with good accuracy.

You can even just buy 250 bullets but the min order is like $25. I've ordered 3,000 from them in the past couple of months and love the bullets.

Tell them Duncan from GlockTalk sent you. Tell them to list their prices on the Net and to start accepting credit card orders over the Net for fast delivery.

Great prices, free shipping.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

PS - this is a reloading issue so put it there.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

Back