Need info on a flintlock rifle for SIL

wilrwag

Inactive
My SIL has a flintlock that has the name SPANGLE in signature form on the top of the barrel. It has an octagnal barrel and wooden (ram rod). It supposedly was made in Indiana. She has been told that it is original and not a replica. I have been ask to researcch it for possible sale. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you get a picture of the markings? None of my books show a "Spangle", but there are two "Spangler"s (Samuel and his son George) that produced flintlock and percussion guns in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin from the mid to late 1800s. HTH.

If it is a flint gun, and original, you probably need a hands on inspection by an expert, or at least some really good photos. Value depends alot on age, maker, condition, configuration, etc. as non military flintlocks were basically custom items made one at a time. So there is no "blue book of values" to consult on that type of gun. Since you are in Indiana, you might be close to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc. in Friendship, down in the SE corner of the state. They have some experts there that know about these things alot. If you take it to a local gunshop, they are gonna try to get it from you dirt cheap in alot of cases. And they probably don't have anyone who knows alot about those type of rifles perhaps. Just modern stuff. So don't be in a rush till you can get some good advice.

The OP has forwarded these photos of the rifle in question, and it turns out to be a percussion rifle, rather than a flintlock; it would probably be helpful to know the calibre/bore diameter and barrel length as well, as this would help to narrow down the type. As Tom2 says, this sort of thing is probably going to require a hands-on evaluation to determine the true "value" but it certainly appears to be a very nice original piece of history. The rifle has a "set trigger", which allows a user to fire the rifle with only a very little trigger pressure once it has been "set" by pulling the other trigger. I also can't make out the initial in front of "Spangle", but it may be a "G".

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

DSCN0730.jpg

I processed the closeup so you may make your own judgement of the initial, but it may be the owners name versus the gunsmiths. A photo of the lock side would be helpful too, to see if it is a flint to percussion conversion or an original caplock. Still it might be worth maybe 1000-2000 to the right person, perhaps? Maybe more? If it is a fullstock rifle. Half stocks maybe don't get as much. Most definitely needs good research or proper experts to come up with anything before selling it. Wonder how they came to have this item?

Attachments

• spangle.jpg
    spangle.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 32
I do appreciate the info I will work on full photos. The rifle has been in the family for years, don't know how it got there. It is supposed to have been made in Kosuiksco County in Indiana around the Civil war. I would agree with Spangle being the owners name as I can find no reference on the web to a Spangle ever being involved in making guns in Indiana. I can not find a makers make of any kind. Like I said I will work on photos. Thanks again.

Update; My SIL says that the info she has is the gun was made before the Civil war and there were 200 made. A woman in Spokane Wa. told her that there have only been 3 found. The gun may have belonged to a George Spangle. The gunsmiths name was Joshua a brother to George and they had another brother John. I have no way to verify any of this. Thanks to the knowledgable help from SDC and TOM2 we know it is a Percussion rifle and not a flintlock.

I also have a Spangle rifle. It was given to me by an elderly relative and I have no idea regarding it's history. It also has the octagonal barrel with the "set" trigger.

Very interesting to at least find out it's origin.

Back