Need info and value on a Model 700 BDL

GAR700

I ran across a rifle that interests me at a local shop. It is a Remington 700 BDL in 300 win mag. Wood Stock with a few dings and scratches, blueing in good shape, good bore, no sights. The only thing I can find wrong with this rifle are the dings and scratches in the stock. The guy wants $450 for it. I was thinking more like $400.
Do these numbers seem reasonable? High? Low? Anything I should watch out for with this particular rifle?
I like the model 700 very much but have never had a BDL. I also like 300 win mags. It seems like a good match to me.
GAR

Cut checkering or stamped checkering? Stamped checkering was applied from the 1960s until the 1990s. If the rifle has stamped checkering, I would say no more than $400, if it has cut checkering, $450 would be a good price.

Actually it is cut checkering. I just looked. What, if any issues should I look for in this rifle?
GAR

What, if any issues should I look for in this rifle?

Check the chamber, trigger housing, inside the barrel, make sure the crown is not damaged, cracked stock, etc. Look the entire rifle over. Take the stock off if your allowed to and inspect the underside of the rifle for damage or rust, and also the inside of the stock for any damage or a weekend handyman bedding job. Hope this helps. Oh, one last thing, shoot it if you can to see if it maintains a decent zero. Good luck.....

I had a BDL in 7mm mag. one of the better shoting rifles i've had and I severely regret selling it

Thanks for the information. I bought it. I outfitted it with a Vari-X III 3.5x10 that I pulled off another rifle. A very capable friend and I are going to bed it and work on the trigger this week. Then it will be off to the range to find a suitable load. Thanks again,
GAR

Back