Need info about a Breda M1 Garand

msd

Inactive
I was curious if anyone may have some information they could share about an M1 Garand my brother picked up today. The card that was with it describes it as a...

M1 Garand, Breda MFG. for Denmark
Has original numbered stock of European Walnut
Throat Gauges 2.5

On the back of the reciever, it has a small crown with the letters FKF under it, followed by Nr under it, then BMR 89xx under it. Its apparently Italian made, and has a date of 1955 on the barrel.

It appears to be in great condition and he's pleased with his purchase. I just thought I would see if there was anything we should know about what we picked up - if it was a good purchase, or a mistake. He paid a little over five hundered for it, so were hoping it was a good deal.

Thanks in advance.

I was dubious at first, but after checking with Smith's The Book of the Rifle learned that Breda, like Beretta, did make the M1 Garand for the Italian Army. It is possible that some were also made for Denmark. Beretta certainly exported Garands to Denmark and Indonesia.

If your brother's rifle is a Breda, it's a keeper. IMO, they're relatively scarce and your brother would do well to drop an inquiry to Scott Duff or the Garand Collector's Association. Congratulations!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Did you try posting to CSP Gun Talk at www.jouster.com, a great forum for Garand collectors?

Mouse Gun

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited March 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited March 05, 2000).]

Thanks for the help.

It looks like he made a good purchase. We picked up some ammo today and we'll probably give it a try sometime next weekend.

Again, thanks for the help.

Back