Need help with used revolver.

sundance43.5

Hi folks. I'm going to a gun show Saturday, and need advice on purchasing my first revolver.

1) I've narrowed it down to a Ruger GP100, or a S&W 686, but are there any other great revolvers I'm missing, that I should consider? I'll primarily be using it to hunt animals no bigger than a deer, and for home defense.

2) What should I expect to pay for these revolvers, or any others you might suggest?

Anything else to add?

You guys are a great bunch!

Chris

I dunno about the Smith, but the GP100 used run between $250 and $350 in very good condition, depending on blued/stainless, condition, etc. I take it that you are looking primarily .357? There are lots of options out there for that. Have a good look around the show, handle alot of guns. The one that is right for you will stand out. Just hope it isn't the one that costs big $$$$.

3 things that I always look for in a used revolver:
1. scratches on screw heads; this means that somebody has probably messed with the internals.
2. condition of the barrel; check for leading, pitting, etc.
3. cock the piece and GENTLY wiggle the cylinder to check for excessive play. If there is very much play, the gun may be worn and could even be out of timing. You should expect a little play, but not much.

Good luck and have fun!

Seen very nice used blued 6" GP100's for $229. I recently picked up a used but never fired SS 4" GP100 with adj. sites for $269.

Used Revolvers

Hello Sundance, I just recently purchased a used Smith 686 2 1/2 barrel. The gun is in excellent condition and I paid $325. for it. I think you won't go wrong with either the Smith or the Ruger. The .357 is a good choice because you can also shoot .38's out of it. Another revolver you may want to look at would be the Taurus. They seem to have a good reputation also and has a cheaper price tag then a new Smith.
FWIW Hope this helps ;)

Back