Need help with revolver selection for my wife

Poodleshooter

Well, here's the way things stack up:
1. My wife has finished her NRA basic course. She got a chance to shoot several varieties of weapons in addition to my GP100 (a Makarov, G17, & same G17 with a Ciener .22 kit) and decided that she appreciates the simplicity of a revolver. She's also handled several different snubbies, including a variety of S&W J's , Taurus 85's and a SP101. She doesn't really have enough experience yet to have a definite preference,though she tended to light and comfortable.
2. She's decided that she doesn't like recoil (didn't even like 9mm w/115gr.
3. More than recoil, she dislikes muzzle flip. (I need a heavier barrel or porting)
4. She isn't too excited shooting, but is pretty decent at it (farm girl). I'd like to foster an interest of course.
5. Since she probably won't be a dedicated shooter, I can't really justify an expensive first weapon (such as one of the new titanium or scandium models)
6. I've found a good deal on a Taurus Mdl.83 .38Special, blued,with a 4" heavy barrel ($109.95) If I equipped this with a wider,softer grip that she likes, this seems like it would be a great alternative with very little recoil and muzzle flip. Unfortunately, it would be a sight unseen purchase from a reliable wholesaler.

What do y'all think- especially you ladies!

While you've explained your wifes like and dislikes and told us what she's tried, you haven't told us what the intended use is going to be for the gun. Target, personal defense, nitestand? If it's going to be a target gun or for the nitestand, then the 4" you mention would be a good choice. If it's going to be a CCW then that 4" might be a bit bulky for the task. Maybe a snubby model 36 or 60 or one of the hammerless models would be more appropriate for the task. Just a thought on the subject. Hope that you find something that she'll like and more importantly that she'll use and practice with.

Greeting's All:

First of all, let me state that I personally would stay away from Taurus revolver's; as I am not willing to bet my life
to such poor quality.:( Keep in mind, my limited experience
is with a Taurus model 82, which is a 4" bull barreled .38
Special.:eek: This POS had about a 25 lbs. double-action trigger pull; in no-way could a female manipulate this monster.:rolleyes: Two weapons that I would definitely
consider would be the Smith & Wesson model's 60 (.38 Special), and 65 (3" heavy barrel .357 Magnum).:) The model
60 comes in at 19 ozs. and is made of stainless steel construction, with a 2" barrel.:) The model 65, is also
made of stainless steel; and features the flexibility of
being able to shoot .38 Special's and/or the more powerful
.357 Magnum ammunition.:D Muzzle flip should not be a problem with the model 65; but the model 60 would be most
easy to conceal, which is what most females want.:eek:
With either choice you can't go wrong!!!:) Both are of
QUALITY construction; made to last a lifetime. Last, but
very important- the Taurus service department leaves a
lot to be desired, from reading some of the recent post
here on TFL!!!:(

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

First of all, let me state that I personally would stay away from Taurus revolver's; as I am not willing to bet my life
to such poor quality.

Taurus quality is right up there with any other manufacturer...now.
I trust my life to an 85UL on a daily basis. Other then some teething problems, this has been one very reliable revolver.
I've owned several Taurus revolvers...currently own three. Everyone of them is a fine quality piece.

And, remember...when S&W caved into the Feds, Taurus US stood by us all the way.

Went through the same thing with my wife. I think your wife needs to actually handle the model selected or a reasonably close clone thereof. If it doesn't fit her hand, she just won't feel comfortable with it.
After eliminating pistols, my wife decided on a 649 Smith (pre sellout) and I added Pachmayr grips. Besides the wadcutters for practice, she has fired 158 gr LSWCHP +P with no complaints about excessive recoil. I believe this is due to the fact that this gun/grip combo fits her hand.

Speaking of quality, the most common problem I've found with Taurus revolvers are weak mainsprings which can result in misfires. However, swapping out springs is easy enough of a cure.

What I really dislike about Taurus revolvers is the way Taurus has taken the basic S&W design and cheapened it. They can offer you a lower priced revolver because it has fewer parts which require fitting. The main part I'm thinking of is the rebound slide found in the S&W revolver. It serves to "bump" the hammer away from the frame should pressure be released from the trigger. The bumping action prevents unintentional discharges and is an inherent safety feature of S&W wheelguns.

Academics set aside, what really matters is how your wife likes the feel of any particular gun. She may be just as pleased with a S&W, or Ruger or a Colt with similiar grips.

dont be cheap.let her pick it out.my wife has a 85 turus 38 snub and a gp-100.she likes them both but due to the greater weight of the gp-100 it has less recoil.let her pick it out and she may like it more and shoot it more,insted of it living in the gun safe.

If she has small hands I'd recommend a 3" SP101 .357 with a trigger job. You say that she has tried one. Start her out with target wadcutters. The extra barrel length will help tame recoil and muzzle flip. My wife has small hands and shoots a .38 Special SP101 (pre-.357) and loves it. Get a case of target loads and don't let her shoot anything else until its used up. I wouldn't advise letting her shoot any full power .357 loads until she gets really acquainted with the gun, maybe never if she is just an occasional shooter. Nothing can wreck a beginning shooter more than a roaring, bucking, flinch inducing magnum load in a small, lightweight gun.

I've been giving this same question thought for my woman's sake. I think that in the end, I will end up getting her a Taurus 8 shot 22WMR. I think the model # is 941. A 22WMR has little recoil but can still haul butt and make some noise. You can get a variety of ammunition for it, such as FMJ, JHP, or JSP. The price of ammo is comparable to 9mm from what I have seen. Having 8 shots at her disposal isn't a bad thing either.

I have another suggestion. Have your wife get training beyond what she has now. Preferably from a female instructor.

I think that in this environment, women who have normal hand strength can learn to handle most common rounds in 38 or 9mm.

That's better than the 22 mag solution - of course, it is a good interim move.

I would let her pick, and use your veto power (if your marital constitution even grants it to you ;) :D) only if she selects something too underpowered to do the job or of too low a quality. This assumes you know more about such things than your wife.

I mean, if my wife selected a Jennings J-22 as a carry gun I would do everything in my power to talk her out of it...but I'm not going to let *my* preferences decide what she shoots and what she carries (hypothetically speaking...she shoots but does not carry). Think about it for a moment...people here carry everything from .22 to .454, in various configurations and capacities, and all of them have their arguments as to why it works for them. There is no reason why your wife would be any different.

Try and steer her? Sure. But in the end its her decision. And, BTW, remember it is a female's perogative to change her mind ;)

Mike

I second Riddleofsteel's thoughts on the 32 H&R magnum. I've seriously considered the SP-101 chambered for this round as a personal protection gun for my wife, since she is recoil shy and doesn't like semiautos.

Thanks for the replies so far. As for the questions-this will be a primary CCW, but will also serve target duties. She can handle my GP100, but doesn't care for the weight (though she likes the dampened recoil). She likes and is comfortable with the GP for target purposes, but it's way too big for a carry gun IMHO. 4" is a little long for carry, but if it reduces recoil.... I had to let her shoot the NRA course with 110 grain reduced .357 loads (the weakest stuff I had available).
I'd lean towards a SP101 as it has the feel of the GP in a more convenient package, but we can't seem to find a good price on a used one locally. She realizes that she needs a balance between power and comfort, so we're not opting for anything less than a .38Spec. (plus I don't feel like reloading for another caliber). The stock grips really don't matter as IMHO, most older snubbies have crappy grips and I intend to replace them anyway. She actually likes the Hogue monogrip that I have on my GP, as her fingers are about the same length as mine.
Thanks for the advice on the older Tauri. Replacing mainsprings with Wolff or another aftermarket is not too expensive. I'm more interested in a solid frame and yoke/cylinder assembly.
As for training, I'm hoping to get this as a starter gun in order to get her to try out training. That's also the reason for wanting a lower cost weapon.
Keep bringing on the ideas!!

Poodleshooter,

In my limited experience in teaching women to shoot, most will shoot a 4" revolver better than a snubby or a semi-automatic. They also tend to shoot revolvers better, or more comfortably, than semi-automatics.

A three inch barrel is a pretty fair compromise between the weight and length of the 4" and 2" barrels. Let me suggest that you find some of the police turn-in S&W M-13, M-64, or M-65. They are three inch heavy barreled K-frame revolvers available in both .38 SPL and .357 Mag. ( I can't remember which caliber goes with which model number.) They are a good enough choice that the FBI issued them for a few years when they were making the transition to semi-automatics, they were issued to women and small handed men.

I suggest that you get the .357 Mag model to give your wife the greatest range of latitude in ammunition choice.

Doc Hudson

Model 65-4

I bought a model 65-4 a couple of months back, stainless S&W .357 with the intentions of teaching my wife to shoot it with .38 wadcutter reloads, then .38+p for home defense. For under $250 it's a great all-around gun except for true concealed carry, which seems to be your desired purpose.

She had thought about a snubbie .38 for "her" gun, and that may well happen, but I think that this will be a great transition gun for her and an excellent all-around choice for me since it shoots so well. Plus, it fits well in a holster when I'm on the motorcycle, but that's just a side note!

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

Back