Need help with Rem 700 short action bolt; ejector

cptmclark

I had a firm opening, and sure enough there was a trace of brass around the ejector, which is stuck flush with the bolt face.
I removed the thru pin, and ejector will not fall or be pushed down with gentle pressure. No spring is visible.
Next plan was to whack the face of the pin with a punch, but there doesn't seem to be room to get it out if pushed harder into the bolt. It looks to me like just one way out.:confused:

Thanks,

Perplexed

Just spit balling but I'd stand the bolt on its face in some brass solvent for a few days or a week; try to gain a little clearance between the brass shaving and the plunger. Then smack the bolt vertically on its face against a block of wood to get the plunger to move. Smack it hard. If you can get some of the brass sliver to peek out, try to pull it out with some heavy tweezers or small hemostat.

It's a puzzle.

Those crescent shaped slivers of brass that foul the ejector are on price you pay for loading too hot.

The way it happens is brass extrudes under pressure into the ejector hole in the bolt face. The hard lift is shearing that extruded brass off.

If you are extruding brass,you are well beyond safe pressure.

I suggest you invest in a Rem 700 bolt assy/disassy tool. Aside from crawling around on your knees looking for where the spring shot the ejector to,

There is another good reason.I know of a guy who was trying to compress the striker spring agans a bench or something. When it slipped,there was enough stored energy to bury the striker,firing pin first,in his abdomen.

The right tool is always cheaper than the emergency room.

I would not beat on anything. Beating tends to bend or batter parts. A battered pin end gets bigger,like a rivet.

It might be slow and frustrating,but I think I'd just use a hand held drift punch,copper solvent soak,and maybe an air jet.

I don't know what the copper solvent might do to the silver solder that holds the bolt handle on.

I'm somewhat with burrhead on this one. I said somewhat as I would prefer to use Rem-oil or another light oil or penetrating oil. I then would do as burrhead said, smack the bolt face against a piece of hardwood and let inertia and the spring push the ejector out.

I see this in my shop often. Take the retaining pin out, push the ejector in with a drill that just barely fits the hole, twist the drill, the brass shavings come out and the ejector should come out. If not, repeat as needed.

Back