Need help with recoil management!!

Cnight21

I was out shooting my sr22 last night trying to print some groups. No matter what I tried the gun seems to recoil slightly to the right making my group short and wide. How do you correct this issue? Or is it possibly a gun issue? Any help is appreciated. I am still new to hand guns.

I tried adjusting my grip but to avail. At a close inspection of the firearm it appears that the muzzle is not cut or machined properly. I'll look at it closer tonight and maybe post some pics.

Possibility that the pistol just doesn't fit your hand quite right or you're not gripping it tight enough.
Muzzle not being cut or machined properly is highly unlikely.

I'll try it out again tomorrow. But last night it had a definite nudge to the right no matter what I tried to do. Maybe just inexperienced but I have shot my dads colt woodsman 22lr and did not notice the same kind of recoil I'm experiencing. The gun comes back on target good despite it tho.

You're not going to learn to shoot well until you stop blaming your improper grip on the gun. It really is your grip and stance. Muzzle flip to the right is wrist torsion and surprise.

Do, however, add a second layer to your hearing protection, muffs or plugs. That can help in reducing surprise reaction from noise, and let you work on grip and muscle relaxation and control.

Given the light recoil of the gun, I would suspect the problem is with your trigger pull. Given the small size of the gun (and resultant short distance needed to reach the trigger), perhaps you are using too much finger and/or are jerking it rather than pressing it straight back. This could result in the muzzle pulling off target during cycling. Try some dry fire to be sure that your sights stay precisely on target during and after the trigger break. (Numerous sources site that it's safe for your pistol to be dry fired.)

I've watched the one by Jerry. After some adjusting and watching my trigger pull I think the v got the problem solved. Shot about 60 rounds this morning and all seemed a lot better.

Recoil begins as soon as the bullet starts to move, but with a .22 like that the effect won't be noticed until after the bullet has left the barrel. Guns, especially handguns, recoil differently depending on the gun design. But the recoil effect will always be the same and is compensated for in the sights.

The best advice is to bench rest the gun. Do NOT rest the barrel or butt of the gun on a sandbag or other rest; always hold the gun in your hands and rest your wrists.

Then the oldest shooting advice in the world is still the best - concentrate on the sights and squeeze the trigger.

Jim

Thanks for the help guys. James K. I benched the gun as you suggested and found it does indeed shot straight. It's just my grip and trigger control that's pulling it off. After some adjustments I've got it shooting decent

Back