Need help with project rifle

tuc22

I thought I'd give the forums a try. The project is a Scout Rifle. I need help with sources. What I'm planning on building is a Mauser 98 action with .308 barrel 20"-24" on a Ramline synthetic stock with Ashley Outdoors Scout Scope Mount and a scope best suited for long eye relief and targets engaged at 100-200yds. This is to be a low cost project.

Ashley Outdoors has virtually everything you'd need to build a Scout style rifle on a Mauser action. I believe they have a web site... However, there are several alternatives:

Option #1: Make a deal for a new Remington 700 Synthetic Youth in .308 and add Scout optics of your choice, epoxy in Pachmyer swivels, trigger tune, and you're good to go... Might even be cheaper than rebarreling, drill and tapping, bolt bending, reblue or park, and all that Mauser BS... Might even have some resale value to boot...

Option #2: Go with the Mauser. Do a search for Scout rifles on this forum and read for several hours. Post any questions not answered. Several of us have great insight into this topic...

You could always try the Savage. I have heard that it is pretty nice for the $$. Besides that its a just add scope package. They should be had for around $385-$400. I had a Savage tactical when they first came out, before going to a Remington. It was just so-so. But I am told that the new short action is very nice. Just a thought.

Be Safe
Mike

Is there anything like a Mauser web site or message board? Still looking for action and barrel for project.

Ashley is probably your best bet for scout accessories. I think their Mauser kit is around $300. (don't quote me!)
I am actually having my scout rifle built by the gunsmith at Ashley Outdoors; Bo Wallace. I spoke with him last week and he said he was finished with my rifle. I will hopefully have it this week. I took a slightly different approach to the concept. I am using an Enfield Jungle Carbine action. I had to rebarrel it as the original was highly corroded. I am using a Ram Line stock, an Ashley Scout Scope mount, Ashley front sight and stock rear sight. To keep costs down I opted to leave it in 303 British. (the extra 150fps gained with the 308 just wasn't worth the extra expense in my book.) I have a Leupold M8 Scout Scope at home waiting to be attatched. I will be using Warn Maxima lite QD scope rings. I also have a Galco ching sling and a Galco butt cuff ammo carrier.
The Enfield action is the fastest, most reliable military bolt action available. We will see what kind of accuracy I will be able to get with it. If I canrealize 1.5MOA I will be happy. I don't think this will be a problem with the proper reloads. The 303 is no quite as prolific as the 308 but it is still one of the top 10 cartridges sold in the USA. Since I do reload and this will be a hunting rifle as opposed to a survival/combat weapon the 303 will do just fine. In addition to the fine action of the Enfield I will have the option of either 5 or 10 round magazines. I will also be able to speed reload with stripper clips. Also the rear sight is a combination of a large ghost ring battle sight and a fine, click adjustable peep sight. (in case of scope failure)
Mr. Wallace said he is teaming up with Gibbs Rifle Company to develope a "drop in" kit for Enfields, similar to the Mauser set up. If I were to do it again I would seriously consider waiting for one of the new kits to become available and mate it up with one of Gibbs' new Quest Extreme carbines.
Just some food for thought. I'll do a review of my rifle after I'm able to play with it for a little bit.

Mike

Back