Need help with new auto purchase

imq707s

I've got a few .22 cal. target pistols, but I'm getting ready to buy something bigger. I've been looking at the 1911 style pistols, and some of the Rugers. I would like something in either .45 or 9mm. I would like to stay with an auto. I also want a gun that can easily be customized. I'll be using the gun mostly for taget shooting.I would like to stay in the price range of $300-$400 if possible. I like the feel of bigger pistols like the 1911. What would you recomend?

For all the qualifier's that you mention, the Ruger P series
will hit you just right.:D:) It's purchase will put you in the Ford vs. Chevrolet class; spend a couple of hundred more
and move up to the Cadillac class.:eek::rolleyes: Which, when translated means a Sig-Sauer in your choice of 9m/m or
.45ACP.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Well, the Rugers are great guns and for the price it's hard to beat them. The only thing is, are they able to be customized? I like 1911s, but I'm not sure I would spend only $300-400 on one...

IMQ707S,

Sad but true......a quality piece that you will enjoy for years costs from $500.00 up. If you want to shoot target like 8" plates at 25 yards or less, either a 1911-A1 or another of John Brownings single action pistols the Browning High power are the ticket.....But they start at around $500.00 unless you buy used. Double action autos do not allow the high quality trigger necessary for shooting targets as a single action does.

The good news is that they can be be highly customized, frequently at home by you for the cost of parts and you can do it a piece at a time over months or years.

.22 target pistols are more accurate but then either of these also can double as self/home defense pistol.

Personally, my favorite is the 1911 but I also own a High Power 9MM. The 9MM is a little cheaper to feed and the 1911 is a little better self sefense pistol. Then the high Power is a littler lighter to carry and has 13 rounds but the 1911-A1 needs fewer rounds ....and on..and on it goes. Both have their advantages and both are great pistols.

Browning High Powers are just becoming available from Fabrique National (the manufacturer of the Brownings which are no longer imported). There are several makers of 1911s. Springfield Armory makes a great entry level pistol for only a little more than you are wanting to spend and a used one would be cheaper.

Before you buy a Glock, H&K or Sig go down to the Gun shop and hold both the 1911-A1 as well. See if you like the way they feel in your hand. The ergonomics are not for every one.

Finally, what ever you buy, save up until you can afford something you like and is good quality (something of value). Then you may wind up keeping it all your life even if you buy something more expensive and esoteric latter on in life. If you do decide to get rid of it, there will be a buyer.

PigPen

Try this

Pick up a HS2000. They are going for around $280 here. I just purchased one and it is not just well built and engineered but overly so. I feel it is by far the best value on the market right now. Oh yeah its chambered in 9mm para as you requested and will be available in 40 Monica(S&W) and 357 SIG in the near future. Hope this helps.

In the price range you set up I think your two best choices are either the Ruger P series or CZ 75.
One of the complaints about the Ruger is that they are on the big side but that was one thing you're looking for.

Where but used can you find a CZ75? I would love to find a single action CZ75 without a firing pin block but I can only find CZ 75"B"s with the firing pin block which makes them less desirable as target pistols which he says is a factor in his choice. yeah, their cheap enough at less than $400.00 for a 9MM and a damn fine piece as well.

Pigpen

I would look around and see if you can get a used Springfield Armory 1911-A1. New ones can be had for a little over $500, so you might also consider saving up an extra $100 or so and going that route.

Back