Need Help With Info On This Rifle

a1signguy

Inactive
IMG00250.jpgIMG00252.jpg

I am getting this rifle from a dead relative and I can't get much info on this thing. Just about all the markings have been removed but the #528 stamped on the metal underneath just in front of the trigger gaurd. The rear sight says Williams on it and the scope says Weaver El Paso and that's it. I am guessing that it has been thrown together by my long dead relative as I know this to be his style and I know it has been sitting for at least 40 years. Any help would be great, Thanks. I took the pics with my phone and I have not picked up the rifle yet. I can get more phone style pics.

IMG00253.jpg

Others may know more about the legalities, but...I know I certainly wouldn't want any firearm where the manufacturer's stampings have been ground off. That said, it looks like a sporterized Mauser action to me - but it would help to see clear pictures of both sides of the receiver.

The rifle appears to be a sporterized K.98k, with the late stamped type trigger guard. I doubt the manufacturer's markings have been ground off; the manufacturer's code and year made should be on the receiver ring where they are hidden by the scope mount base.

The bolt handle has been altered to work with the scope and both the scope and the rear peep sight have been added, along with a sporter stock. The stock work may have been done in Germany, as the stock shape is not of American style.

The serial number should be on the left side of the receiver ring and should be visible even with the scope mount in place.

Jim

AFAIK, The only marking that's illegal to alter or remove, under Federal Law, is the serial number - which looks like it's most likely hidden by what appears to be a side-mount scope base.

It's a Mauser 98 of some ilk.

What chambering is anyone's guess, and a chamber cast/bore slugging should be done, by you or a gunsmith, prior to firing it.

The ElPaso Weaver scope looks like a ca.1950's 3/4" tube J-series, with long eye-relief, and meant for centerfire rifles - although it looks like a rimfire scope.
I have a J-2.5, but they were also made in 4x - prior to the introduction of the Weaver K-series.
Weaver collectors regularly spend around $150 to get their mitts on one these days.

Last edited:
Back