Need help with Dan Wesson

killjoy

I own a Dan Wesson model 15 2VH with an 8”barrel. I have owned since new. My problem is the barrel nut has become frozen. I have been putting penetrating oil on the barrel nut for a week now without any luck. I don’t want to ruin the gun trying to remove the nut but I’m running out of ideas. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

I would try clamping the barrel of the unloaded revolver in a well padded vise, then try tapping on the barrel nut wrench slowly, use a proper fitting punch pin. All you want to do is break the seal.

Last edited:
Thanks I haven’t used a vise yet but will have to try that. I’ve been reluctant to do it but will have to try it I know. I’ll report back with the results.

I had that happen with my 6" barrel once. I used a hair blow dryer to heat that front nut slightly and it came right off.

Thank you both! I clamped the barrel in a cushioned vise, applied heat with a hair dryer tapped the barrel nut and it finally came loose!! ??????
Now I will clean and store until it’s time to go to the range.
Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

FYI, I have one DW (357 Max) and my son has 2 (357 Mag & 357 Max).

There is easy "trick" for dealing with a stubborn barrel nut.

Heating the barrel more than the shroud will lengthen the barrel and release tension on the nut. The easiest way to do this is to fire a couple of cylinders of full power ammo in a prompt fashion from a cold gun. Then go at the nut with a wrench before temperatures equalize.

Besides the heating method mentioned above, there is something additional you can do. Use a triangle file to lightly file the forward edge of the removal wrench teeth so they "bite" into the barrel nut as you try to remove it. You don't need to remove much to do this.

Just did this very thing let it sit for two nights down in a half portion of Ed's Red
1 part dexron
1part kerosene
1part mineral spirits

Used a mason jar had the revolver clamped into a vice with the barrel complete submerged all the way in. Got busy forgot about it and two days later went back to it and came right off.

Thumnail-copy6-1-e1669426904967.jpg

Thumnail-copy11-e1669426916569.jpg

Back