Need help with Coyote equipment.

Larz

I have one of those rechargable 1,000,000 candlelight cordless spotlights. I want to put a filter on it so it is red so that coyotes won't see the light. Is there a cheap way to make a filter like with red reynolds wrap or something like that. Also is red the color to use. Thanks, Larz

You might try for some red overhead projector transparencies. That might be perfect. I'm told that when hunting frogs the red light is less dissruptive than white! I only shoot at the songdogs in the day time. Luck.
anodes.

Whatever you use make sure it won't melt under the heat of he light. Sounds like you'd need some dyed lexan or something.

Hueco

I'm just thinking out loud here.. Is there enough "red" output in a halogen light to make that a worth while effort?, It always seemed to me that halogen is stronger at the other end of the spectrum, the blue area. I don't know.. just thinkin.. I'm usually wrong.

Red has always been the prefered color choice. Checking the Cabelas catalog, the lenses of the 1-2 mil spotlights are made of Lexan, if that helps any. Did not see any filters avail.

Q-Beam makes a red lens cover; seems to work okay...I've killed several coyotes that came in while I was using it.

I do suggest not shining it straight at them; even with the red cover, just catch the eyes' reflection at the edge of the light...

Just my opinion, but I like to shift to some lesser light (three-cell, e.g.) if the dog is halfway close. All that high candle-power is best only when they're way out there.

FWIW, Art

Back