Need help with choice of Sig .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

My wife and I have a HK USP 40 Compact (hers) and a Walther P99 40 (mine). I'm very interested in purchasing a Sig .45 since I've heard so much about Sig's quality and accuracy. I get very confused when reading about all of the different P models available. It looks like the P220 and P245 are the only Sig's in 45. I understand that the 220 is full size and the 245 is compact.

I haven't decided if I want to carry a 45 concealed, and it's not the most important consideration since the Walther will work well for that purpose. Mainly I'm interested in the 45 as a fun target shooter and a formidible weapon for home defense.

I hope that I'm not asking an apples and oranges question, but which do you find more enjoyable to shoot? I'm guessing the full size would provide a more enjoyable experience at the range. I know that the 245 is a newer gun. Is the quality and accuracy of the 245 better or worse than the 220?

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but any comments, insight, suggestions that can get me pointed in the right direction is appreciated.

If you want a Sig .45, I recommend the 245. I held one and REALLY liked it. I classify the Ruger P90 and the Sig 220 as "too big for what you actually get." I like high-cap though.

Ben

You can't go wrong with either one. I have a P245, but have never shot a 220. I understand the 245 is just a chopped version of a 220. And I were you, I'd go to a gun shop that has both models in stock and play with them to decide which one YOU like best.

It may be that the 245 is the best way, though. You said you haven't decided if you want to carry a .45 concealed- that means that in the future, you might. If you get the 245, you'll still have an excellent target/home defense gun, and IF you decidee to conceal it, it fits that purpose as well.

Happy hunting!

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

I have had a 220 since 93 and love it! I have done nothing to it and it it my most accurate Handgun i have in the safe. I did consider the 245 but it was just to small for my hand. Like others have said go to the Shop and put both in your hand and see which one feels the best. You will not be disapointed with either one.

Colt

I should have mentioned that I did handle both guns extensively at a local gun show last weekend. Both felt really good, but I gave a slight edge to the 245 for comfort. However, I wish my little finger wouldn't hang off the end: are grip extensions available? Also, can you get a magazine for the 245 that holds 9 or 10 rounds?

Pipper,

I haven't had one of those 245's in my hand yet, but that would be MY choice based on grip height (for concealability), and grip width; since you may use it for concealed carry later on. My guess is that it would fit my hand better. It sounds like it fits yours better too, except for the height. My "guess" is that Pearce Grips, maker of the grip extensions on Glocks, will come out with an extension for the Sig. This is only a guess. I wish I had their phone # or Email to give you, but its probably not to hard to find on dogpile.com , northernlights.com , or AskJeeves.com search engines. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one, if they fit your hand like its made for it and points well for YOU.

The only negetive thing that I can say is that one of the gun mags reviews said that it was very inaccurate. This is only one review, mind you, and might not reflect the group as a trend in accuracy.. If it normally takes after its older brother, chances are it is very accurate, indeed. It hasn't been out long enough or in enough hands to tell for sure. But for home defense, I'd go with what ever fits your hand best and points best. If you are married and want your wife to have it when you're gone, let her handle one at a local gun shop that has one. Thats my opinion, for what its worth.

If you end up getting a 245, it would make me a happy camper if you did a review on it here or contacted me to let me know what you think about it after running a few hundred rounds through it. Best wishes, neighbor. :)

EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited September 30, 1999).]

I have only fired the Sig 239 and the 245. I bought the 245 and feel it is my best gun-buying decision yet. I am 6' 235 lbs and consider my hands pretty large but have no problem holding the 245. It is plenty accurate for me. Fun to shoot paper targets, more fun to shoot bowling pins and conceals very well in my AKJ Concealco IWB holster. One gun that does everything well? Yup!

Dave Ebdon

Greetings Pipper; May I jump in here and
recommend the Sig P220A in .45ACP; both
for personal protection and home defense.
This weapon is highly accurate and well
designed; right out of the box. There is
no need to add any extra's too it. If you
are a good shot, this gun will make you
an excellent shot; provided that you follow
the basic rules of marksmanship. I have bet
my life on this weapon since 1988; so the
choice is your's. Both are excellent guns.
To borrow someone else's quote in closing;
"I have never met a Sig that I did not like."

------------------
Ala Dan

I can't really comment on a SIG P245 since I've never shot one. I own a SIG P220 and it's a great gun. I can comment on the big/small discussion, though.
I've had a Beretta 8040 Mini Cougar for a couple years. The only difference between a Cougar and Mini Cougar is a shorter grip. I rarely use the eight-round mag. Since I mostly use the ten-round extended mag, it's essentially a Cougar. (I do realize the P245 has a shorter barrel and a shorter grip.) Unless it were to be carried, I can't see the advantage in a mini-me version of a SIG P220.
Don't get me wrong, I like my Mini Cougar. It's accurate to 50' and fits well in my hands. However, I did want a full-sized .40 for shooting from 25-50 yards, so I recently purchased a Beretta 96FS. I'm very happy with both weapons. I could see owning both a SIG P220 and a P245 but if I had to choose only one, then I'd choose the P220.
As for the ten-round mags for either, I haven't heard of any that actually work. I tried some ten round mags by Pro-Mag and they jammed and misfed. :( I recently purchased a couple eight-round mags by Pachmayr and they work great without a jam or misfeed! :) If you get seven-round or eight-round mags for a P245, then they would stick out from the bottom of the grip.
I'll have to admit that I'm a little biased. I installed an Accu-Match barrel with a compensator on my P220, thus making it even bigger than a standard P220.
It boils down to what you want. If you're considering using it for carry, then either the P245 or the P220 would be cool. If you want it for target-practice and home-defense, then I'd think a P220 would be cooler.

Later,
Rich

Pipper - I believe I have the answer. Buy both of them. ;) :)

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

If what you plan on using it for is home defense and target shooting, get the P220. The 220 isn't so large that it can't be concealed anyway so if you are already used to carrying the P99 concealed, the 220 won't be too much more of a stretch.
Why have a 220 and a 245? Why have a Colt Gvt, and a Commander and an Officer's and a Defender and.....

245 verses 220?I carry a 220.The difference in size is not much.Put a extension on the mag?Why buy a compact and make it bigger?I will recommend the 220.Its concealable accurate,reliable and as close to a perfect gun as you can get.
beemerb
PS Put it in a Galco inside the pants leather holster.Works very well

Go with the P220. I bought one two years ago with factory night sights and went to an outdoor range -- shooting at a target at 25 yards... Target background was white with a black bullseye... bullseye was I think about six inches in diameter. Anyway, here I am shooting at this target and I think I am missing??? Am I missing? What gives with this handgun? Nope -- every round is going into the black. EVERY round. Out of a 50 round box -- all 50 rounds went into the black. Now this might not be a big deal for some of the shooters on this website... but for me -- I have NEVER put 50 rounds into a six inch circle at 25 yards with any pistol but the P220 -- and those were the first 50 rounds ever fired out of that handgun. AWESOME. I was impressed. Set the P220 down and picked up my M1911A1 and started popping caps. Not too long before I was shooting outside of the black again... :) The P220 is a keeper.

Get the P220. I have had two of 'em. They're easy to carry concealed, and with the longer barrel, you DO get a bit more velocity. The P220 is very narrow for a DA/SA .45ACP, and is a good choice for CCW with either an IWB or belt holster. The P245 is attractive, but you give up a couple rounds in the magazine, as well losing velocity. A recent review in one of the "gunrags" found fault with the P245 on several counts, including accuracy. Maybe the author got a "lemon", but then again, maybe SigSauer hasn't got all the bugs out of the smaller pistol design yet. The P220 has been available in .45ACP form for over a decade, and is a thoroughly-tested design. If nothing written in this thread helps convince you one way or the other, by all means try to shoot both. Good luck.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Thanks for all the info! I've handled both (not fired), and I've decided that the 220 is the way to go. Both guns felt good, but you're comments and suggestions were the deciding factor.

If anyone knows of a range in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that rents Sig's, please let me know. I'd like to try before I buy.

Pipper, try Alpine Sporting Range, 5482 Shelby Road, Fort Worth 76140; Winchester Gun Club, 10751 Luna Rd, Dallas 75220, (972) 556-0103; or Dallas Pistol Club, Carrollton, Texas, (1100 S. Stemmons Fwy, Lake Dallas, Texas 75065) (972) 242-9770. One of these ranges should be able to assist you.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back