Need help with an ammo problem

coyotewsm

Ok guys. I order some Hornady SST superformance and got sent Hornady superformance gmx which I don't really know anything about I'm trying to decide weather to keep it or send it back. What do you guys think?

If the GMX has the same bullet weight as the SST, as that was what you were looking for, then I wouldn't have any problems using it. And if you paid the SST price for the box, you got a very good deal.

The SST is a lead core bullet.
The GMX is a monolithic bullet.

Personally I'm not in favor of Monoliths, so I vote send em back.

Will they work for your needs?
More than likely.

Opposite ends of the spectrum. The SST's are a less expensive bullet that expands very rapidly. They tend to be very accurate, but a lot of hunters don't like them because they tend to over expand and not penetrate enough. Especially on larger game than deer.

The GMX is their solid copper bullet similar to the Barnes TTSX. They are designed for maximum penetration in larger game. They are considered a premium bullet and are much more expensive.

The general rule of thumb is to drop down one or 2 bullet weights lighter than lead since they penetrate so well. I've never used the Hornady version, but have used Barnes copper bullets. Based on everything I've read they are just as good as the Barnes bullet.

Instead of traditional 165 gr 308 bullets I shoot 130's in copper. They retain 100% of their weight after impact and a 130 gr copper bullet will usually match a 180 gr lead bullet for penetration. The down side is that they don't expand well below about 2000 fps impact speed. That is one reason it is recommended to drop down to a lighter weight.

It wouldn't hurt to shoot them and see if they are accurate in your gun. They are normally about double the price of SST's.

Ok just everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about I got the 139 great gmx in 7mm-08. According to factory ballistics they don't drop below 2000 fps untill after 500 yards since I don't plan on shooting that far that won't be a problem.

You would probably be disappointed if you tried to send the ammunition back. Most distributors and retailers will not accept ammunition returns.

If the GMX shoots well in your rifle, use it.

"According to factory ballistics they don't drop below 2000 fps untill after 500 yards since I don't plan on shooting that far that won't be a problem."

I'm not sure how that is a factor. The GMX bullets won't expand as quickly as the SST. If you plan to shoot smaller critters, the SST is preferable. If you plan to shoot an elk or bear, the GMX is preferable. 500 yard velocity is NOT the issue.

If you paid for SST and got GMX, keep them as they're much more expensive. If I did use a mono bullet, it would the GMX because they don't foul the barrel like copper.

"...ordered some...and got sent..." One of the reasons to buy ammo and components locally.
Superformance is the current name for the old 'Light Magnum' line. Basically max loads from a factory.
Like std7mag says, the SST(Super Shock Tip. That being marketing nonsense). is a lead cored bullet with a hard polymer tip. It's Hornady's answer to the BT, Accutip and the original Sabre Tip from CIL. The GMX is their answer to the Barnes solid copper bullet.
150 grain .308 show the GMX is running a whole 60 FPS slower than the SST. Slightly different ballistics too. So if you opt to keep 'em you'll have to sight in again. And at 500 , the only thing that matters is the remaining energy(59 ft-lbs. less for the GMX) and if you can hit the proverbial pie plate at that distance.
The "weather" will be decided for you. So will being able to return 'em. Like Scorch
says, a lot of shops do not do returns on ammo. Find out with a phone call or e-mail.

I understand most places don't return ammo but it was their screw up not mine so it shouldn't matter, but I decided to keep the ammo.

Back